5-speed not going into gear

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Joe200man

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Started having problems with my 5-speed last night. Stopped at a stoplight and it wouldn't go in gear. had to turn the jeep off to put it in gear. Had problems with it the rest of the night and this morning, but at times it would shift normal. I originally thought slave cylinder but i took it off earlier and its not leaking at all. Also noticed it started to make a high pitch squeal if you hold the clutch in for a few seconds. Sounds like a dry bearing.

So now i'm wondering pilot bearing or throwout bearing? it's an 03 with 140,000 on it. any tricks at all to tell if the slave cylinder is working properly?

CactusJacked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine just did the same thing with the squealing sound, and clutch not fully disengaging. Given the miles (134k), and the squealing crunching noise, I knew there was no alternative but to go inside the bellhousing, figuring it was either the pilot bearing or there was throwout bearing/pressure plate damage. It was the pilot bearing, the needles were either gone or out of place, which was causing enough friction on the input shaft to keep it spinning after the clutch was disengaged, which is why it was hard to get into gear. New clutch time.

Joe200man

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine just did the same thing with the squealing sound, and clutch not fully disengaging. Given the miles (134k), and the squealing crunching noise, I knew there was no alternative but to go inside the bellhousing, figuring it was either the pilot bearing or there was throwout bearing/pressure plate damage. It was the pilot bearing, the needles were either gone or out of place, which was causing enough friction on the input shaft to keep it spinning after the clutch was disengaged, which is why it was hard to get into gear. New clutch time.

Yea i kinda figured thats what it is. Whats a good clutch kit to put in?

CactusJacked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I bought the LuK brand; pressure plate, disc, throwout bearing, pilot bearing, and alignment tool. Best price I found was at rockauto.com for $166.79 plus shipping. Look in the vendor section here or search online for the 5% discount too. Companies like LuK and Sachs, to name a couple, make the OEM clutch sets for a number of different auto manufacturers (manufacturers assemble vehicles with some subcontracted parts, they don't make all their own parts). My new LuK pressure plate has a "Sachs" stamped on it. Want to guess what name was stamped on the old one I took out? Yep, you guessed it!

Last edited:

Joe200man

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well after two days of barely being able to shift, i have know driven it 3 days without a problem. Not sure if i should go ahead and tear it apart or just wait and see what happens

CactusJacked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have yet to have a vehicle that healed itself. You likely have a pilot bearing that's disintegrating, and right now the needles that were hung up have cleared. Problems will be back, but the longer you wait, the greater the chance that the end of the input shaft will get hacked up. Mine got gouged, but I'm using a longer than stock pilot bearing to span the low spot on the shaft.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.