5 AT Tires Which to Choose?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JimKJSVT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Specs for P245/70R16 size
UTQ LOAD/SPEED TREAD RPM LBS
Bridgestone Revo 500AB 106S 13 704 36
General Grabber AT2 640AB 107T 17 707 40.7
Hercules Terra Trac AT 500AB 107S 13.5 33
Couldn't find rpm for Hercules
Nokian Vatiiva 460AB 107S 14 707 35
Pirelli Scorpion ATR 520AB 107T 14 705.1 37

Is the Hercules in the same league as the others?

I'm taking a guess most aggressive to least
General
Hercules
Bridgestone
Nokian
Pirelli

The Generals certainly look the most brutal / like what you would want / expect to see on a truck

AZKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Why isn't BFG A/T's or KO's on your list? They would be my first and second choice. They have a stiffer sidewall and are very good off road tires.

Since you have Bridgestone on your list, you may want to look into the Firestone Destinations or Fuzion XTI A/T. They are all under the same parent company and have similar qualities. The Fuzion XTI's are the least expense.

I have the Fuzion's on my Liberty. They have seen easy off road trails and are pretty quite on the highway. So far I've been happy with them. I would have went with BFG, but they don't have them to fit the OEM 17" rims.

Fuzion XTI A/T tire...

You must be registered for see images

Last edited:

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have the Hercules Terra Trac A/T on. Different size but the tread would be the same. I've only had them on for about 7,500 miles. They seem to be wearing well so far. Not enough miles yet to really tell. They went through the winter well as we had several good storms. One was 25" or so. Got high centered coming in the driveway after the snow plow plowed it in - backed out and made it the second try. They were good in snow. Good in the rain with and without full-time on. Had them off road but nothing extreme. They were good. They pulled me through a sand pit one time when I didn't bother to air down when I was testing them out.

I never ran any of the others you mentioned so I can't say anything about them.

Dave

JimKJSVT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dave,
Do you like them enough to buy again? I believe the Nokians and Pirellis are available in 17 inch sizes

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Pirelli Scorpion ATR 's negative reviews point out
-flat spots after a day or so sitting
-treadwear
-strange treadpattern from the previous A/T to new ATR

But they sure look great and A/Ts were one of the best sellers.

JimKJSVT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Fuzions kinda resemble destinations I guess. Interesting. Since I'm not hauling heavy loads all the time like a pickup, I figured I could get away with a P rated tire. (I was advised to get P rated and that eliminates BF Goodrich.) The Generals resemble them quite a bit and have 60k warranty.

jelohead

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Revo's are awesome tires....when new, they are very capable off road (paragon mud didnt even slow em down ), i have never felt scared in rain with em (50,000 miles on em now ), at this point, they need to be replaced for offroading, but they are still great on the highway....i have a used set of MT/Rs that im gonna put on in a couple of weeks, but if i didnt have them, i'd be buying another set of Revos just my opinion

Ry' N Jen

Banned
Reaction score
Slightly North of the 49° th. Parallel... In HongC
Why isn't BFG A/T's or KO's on your list? They would be my first and second choice. They have a stiffer sidewall and are very good off road tires.

Since you have Bridgestone on your list, you may want to look into the Firestone Destinations or Fuzion XTI A/T. They are all under the same parent company and have similar qualities. The Fuzion XTI's are the least expense.

I have the Fuzion's on my Liberty. They have seen easy off road trails and are pretty quite on the highway. So far I've been happy with them. I would have went with BFG, but they don't have them to fit the OEM 17" rims.

Fuzion XTI A/T tire...

What he just said...
BFG A/T's or KO's. By far the best as far as I am concerned!
Ultimately one set of each. I have used each set on a mutant 4X4 Ford F250 and on a 1972 GMC Jimmy 4X4. I'd be running them right now on our Libby but the tyres that are on it now (Hankook A/T's) still have 75% tread left on them and are very decent so I figure I'll use 'em up until late Autumn and then fit the BFG Mud Terrain X 5.
Just my two cents worth.

Cheers

ryan

yoda13

Full Access Member
Reaction score
BFG AT KOs would be my first and second choice as well...that is always my tire of choice....having said that, I think, if it were me, out of the choices you listed I would get the generals....but that is just what i would do from your choices....but I would rather have the BFG AT KOs:D

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
Dave,
Do you like them enough to buy again? I believe the Nokians and Pirellis are available in 17 inch sizes

I didn't see the Nokians and I didn't like the Pirelli's.

I would have preferred the BFG A/T's as I've run them before but couldn't get them in the 17" size to fit. That was my first choice.

I like a fairly agressive tread (without going to an MTR or MT tire) and hardly anything is available that I liked in a A/T for my size.

The Terra Trac A/T's have been good so far (about 7,500 miles or so). I would buy them again if I can't get the BFG's. They perform well so far. They're leagues ahead of the OEM's which left me stuck so I took them off at 15,000 miles. We'll see if they wear as well as the BFG's.

Dave

JimKJSVT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
From what I have read the Nokian Vatiiva is supposed to be similar to the Revo but if anything more Michilen-like if that makes any sense. Nokians may be a tiny bit better in snow and rain because of their siping with the Revos having a slight edge off road. Some people who put them on pickups feel they are almost identical except Nokians hold up slightly better and are less squirmy. The dealers that carry Bridgestone and Nokian have reccomended the Vatiiva. Pirellis get a good write up, but just don't look agressive enough for off-road to me.

http://nokiantire.com/en/tire_vatiiva.aspx

icarl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the General Grabbers. They are very good tires. Been through snow, mud, dirt, etc with good results. They also wear well as I have put lots of hwy miles on them (sometimes a 1000k/week) and they still have lots of tread. Like any AT though they will get clogged up with snow/mud/etc but work great in dirt. Still, my only regret is not getting a lift before I got my tires so I could get even larger ones.

CRD4Liberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We have 7 Libertys in the parking lot at work. 2 have BFG AT KOs, they hum a bit, and they lost the most MPG when they changed from the stock tires, 1 to 2 MPG. The 2 Revos and 1 Vatiiva rig saw no noticeable difference in MPG or noise, huge differences in traction with any aftermarket tire we've used here. The Generals lost about 1 MPG, hum in the 35 to 45 MPH range than quiet down on the highway.

JimKJSVT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is my asessment of Revo VS. Vatiiva pretty close? Is there any noticable difference between the 2? I have no doubt that of my choices the Generals would look the coolest and be the best off road, but I drive my Jeep to work everyday and don't think it makes sense to decrease my mpg even though I don't put that many miles on it. 95% of my driving will be on the road, but it is a Jeep and I want it to be able to do what Jeeps do! :)

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yokohama Geolander A/T-S..

Blake, how about H/T S? I think you mentioned the difference somewhere in one of those topics.. can't find it..

icarl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Icarl,
24570R16 are supposed to fit stock, Why didn't you go with them?

I originally wanted that size. But the local tire shop could not get that size when I needed them. Besides the difference in height between the 245/70 and 225/75 is miniscule.

yoda13

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We have 7 Libertys in the parking lot at work. 2 have BFG AT KOs, they hum a bit, and they lost the most MPG when they changed from the stock tires, 1 to 2 MPG. The 2 Revos and 1 Vatiiva rig saw no noticeable difference in MPG or noise, huge differences in traction with any aftermarket tire we've used here. The Generals lost about 1 MPG, hum in the 35 to 45 MPH range than quiet down on the highway.

Yeah, I can vouch for that, I always lose some mpgs when I put the BFGs on...usually 1-2...that is what it was on my Libby...:cool:

JimKJSVT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Question for Icarl,
People who put 245/70s on Libertys say that they feel more stable. Do you also find this to be the case with the narrower tires that you used? I've read that narrower actually digs in better for off road use.