4x4 Question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1TrailADay

Reaction score
Hey all! Long time reader, first time poster....

Anyhow, haven't seen this question asked and it may be out there, but I'll give it a shot...

I have a Liberty with the Command Trac 4x4. I also currently live in the Southeast and the weather isn't ever very bad. However, my job make be taking me to the Northeast where I may prefer to have the full-time 4x4. My question is that is it possible to upgrade to the full-time Selec Trac?? I'm definately no car expert, but I believe I'm only missing the differential to allow the front and rear axles to rotate at different speeds. Anyone have any ideas on this?? If it is possible, are we talking an arm and leg to have it done?

I thought I'd ask since I've done quite a few other upgrades to my Libby and really love it. Not really interested in getting a new one right now.

1TrailADay

Reaction score
Yeah, I've read all about the capabilities of Jeep's 4x4. Heh, that's why I got one!! O:)

I've just never really driven my Liberty in winter weather. Do you switch into 4HI as soon as there's snow on the ground?

Also, when it's raining, do you, or can you, switch to 4HI?

I've taken it off-road many times, but like I said, I've never driven it in bad weather.

priell3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
1TrailADay said:
Yeah, I've read all about the capabilities of Jeep's 4x4. Heh, that's why I got one!! O:)

I've just never really driven my Liberty in winter weather. Do you switch into 4HI as soon as there's snow on the ground?

Also, when it's raining, do you, or can you, switch to 4HI?

I've taken it off-road many times, but like I said, I've never driven it in bad weather.

You can switch to 4HI for improved traction when road conditions are less than optimal. Have no fear, your KJ will get you there.

A better investment would be to upgrade the tires. Usually the stock Goodyears do poorly in bad weather.

-=JoN=-

Reaction score
on rain, i usually dont switch to 4-hi..unless i feel the need to anyway..ins now conditions...yes..im usually at 4-hi most of the time, unless i get to a nicely paved street

and as priell said...tires
get new tires, the stockers suck ass.
my new tires FEEL A LOT better, wet or dry.

in any case....just feel ur way through..if it feels a tad unfomfy when it's raining hard..go 4-hi..just remember to shift out when it's not so slick....
or else ur gonna bind or start crab walking..

kjk

Reaction score
Man, I didn't want to think about snow quite yet, but since you brought it up, Command Trac should be just fine, you will just need to shift it in and out more often if you are in an area with blowing and drifting snow. More important than 4WD is just using common sense. 4WD will get you anywhere you want to go in the snow, however stopping once your there can still be a problem. #-o

-=JoN=-

Reaction score
yeah, what he said..
even with having one of the best 4x4 systems out there, trying to outwit mother nature will just get you into trouble. having all 4 wheels moving will get you going.....but..stopping is a another issue all in it's self....

watch out for black ice...and as always..never panic stop....stomping on ur brakes will also get u into more trouble than you would like

grogiefrog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In winter here, half of the vehicles that end up in the ditch are 4x4's.

I did most of my early driving on RWD cars in Colorado. For someone new to four-wheel drive and winter driving, always act as if you are driving on ice and not in four-wheel drive, and you'll do fine.

melted

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Once heard that the major difference between 2WD and 4WD is the length of tow cable necessary to pull it out of the ditch.

grogiefrog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
melted said:
Once heard that the major difference between 2WD and 4WD is the length of tow cable necessary to pull it out of the ditch.

eclipsee_gold_cup.gif Quote of the day!

kegjeep

Full Access Member
Reaction score
grogiefrog said:

I did most of my early driving on RWD cars in Colorado. For someone new to four-wheel drive and winter driving, always act as if you are driving on ice and not in four-wheel drive, and you'll do fine.

haha, I used to do all of my winter driving in a RWD mustang on snow and ice...teaches you be a bit more careful.

grogiefrog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
kegjeep said:
grogiefrog said:

haha, I used to do all of my winter driving in a RWD mustang on snow and ice...teaches you be a bit more careful.

I did it with two RX-7's, and I would drive over the Rockies at times. I did keep a pair of chains for when it snowed a lot, which let me say were hard to put on such a low car! But it was fun with chains... just like a 4x4 sports car! But still, you learn to take it easy and keep in mind that the road probably isn't as good as it looks!

I heard a guy say one time that the palm of your hand is about how much of each tire is on the road. Not a lot!

-=JoN=-

Reaction score
for snow?..
yeah....the thinner the better..
ever seen wrc races like up in sweden....
tires are like donuts....cuts through the snow better

You must be registered for see images attach

Members online

No members online now.