4x4 problem

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

twindragons187

Full Access Member
Reaction score
had to use the 4x4 today, i have an 03 sport with the part time 4x4. when engaged, it sounded like a teeth skipping from the driver's side...then i started taking it in and out of 4x4. and finally it stopped...whats going on? i know the only place it engages at is in the transfer case, could the chain be stretched?? had a friend that had that happen and it cut a whole in th trasfer case. its still under warranty so i'm gonna have them look at it. only a 100 bucks if it needs to be fixed.(according to my warranty papers 100=deductable)

thanks in advanced

duston

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What tcase do you have? How many miles? Ever changed the oil?
X2.................

Plus how often do you shift into 4wd?It is highly advisable to find a gravel area/road and shift into 4hi and 4low and run it that way for a mile or so at least once a month to keep everything working good in the t-case.You should also be changing the fluid in it at least every 30,000 miles.I change mine every 6000 miles,and when I change it it's always nice and black(I use 4wd often,at least I did before I broke a front CV) and I always used ATF+4.

twindragons187

Full Access Member
Reaction score
don't use the 4x4 that often. i have the part time system. just rolled over 86k. not sure if the tcase fluid been changed.....i'll have to do that. i've put it in 4x4 since the last time i posted, and its not making any noise and working like it should. i'm up here in pa(near elmira ny) and we just got alot of snow and its been getting pretty cold....so, dunno what happend.

offrovering

Full Access Member
Reaction score
you probably didnt have it all the way in or put it in slowly and it didnt engage. I would bet it is fine now. Still probably want to change the fluid soon, I think it is due at 60k and again at 90k or something around there.

tjkj, after 6k miles its black? thats horrible, doesnt seem right

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
tjkj, after 6k miles its black? thats horrible, doesnt seem right
Just remember that with ATF+4 color does not mean anything,mainly just meaning that I use 4wd often which heats up the fluid faster then running in 2wd which in turn means you need to change it more often.Thank god my new t-case uses 75w-90 full synthetic gear oil.

LibertyFever

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have sometimes have trouble getting my Libby into 4WD Lo, some chattering or grinding of gears but once in there's no noise. While your Jeep is covered under a warranty it's best to have the dealership look at it. A replacement transfer case would easily cost you more than the $100 deductible.

Let us know if they find a problem.

By the way, I doubt your transfer case is damaged. The transfer case in my YJ is still churning along and it has over 240,000 kms of abused usage.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.