4x2 vs 4x4. Need Help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DeluXXXe

Reaction score
I opted to buy a 2007 Jeep liberty limited 4x2 with 16,000 miles for $15,000 instead of the 2006 liberty 4x4 with 33,000 miles for $16,900 and have been wondering if I made the right decision for a month.

MOSTLY Im concerned about getting stuck in the snow. I really dont do much "off roading" here in NYC.

When buying the car the dealer told me that the car has something where if the back tires start to slip, some power is transferred to the front tires. I cant find any documentation of this anywhere though. I dont think its the ESP based on what Im reading in the manual.

Can anyone help? Im kind of annoyed at the fact its a rear wheel drive vehicle to begin with.... Is a 4x2 Jeep a joke?

Did I make the wrong decision?

Last edited:

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
4x2 is only a 2wd vehicle,your 2 rear wheels are the only tires to recieve power so the dealer lied to you since you do not have a front diff or transfercase to supply power to the front wheels.

4x4 has a transfercase that can supply power to all 4 wheels.

ESP ONLY effects your throttle and brakes,ABS effects ONLY your brakes.You will not get anymore traction in a 2wd KJ with ESP/ABS then any FWD or any other 2wd vehicle.A 4wd KJ will always provide more traction in all conditions then a 2wd even with ESP/ABS and a rear locker with the 4wd being open/open diffs.

You should have opted for the 4wd KJ,you still would have the ESP/ABS(standard on '06 and '07's) but the ability to actually power both axles which can never be done with a 4x2.

DeluXXXe

Reaction score
Think Ill have problems in the snow?

And pardon me for being a total noob.... Whats KJ stand for? "J" Im assuming is for Jeep...

jnaut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I opted to buy a 2007 Jeep liberty limited 4x2 with 16,000 miles for $15,000 instead of the 2006 liberty 4x4 with 33,000 miles for $16,900 and have been wondering if I made the right decision for a month.

MOSTLY Im concerned about getting stuck in the snow. I really dont do much "off roading" here in NYC.

When buying the car the dealer told me that the car has something where if the back tires start to slip, some power is transferred to the front tires. I cant find any documentation of this anywhere though. I dont think its the ESP based on what Im reading in the manual.

Can anyone help? Im kind of annoyed at the fact its a rear wheel drive vehicle to begin with.... Is a 4x2 Jeep a joke?

Did I make the wrong decision?

My opinion: You made the wrong decision.

This is not a criticism or insult to you, just my cold hard look at the numbers and the facts. Let's just say it wasn't the decision I would have made.

Had the price difference been several thousand, I would say that if you're not doing any offroading, then it wasn't the "wrong" decision. I don't think in these here modern times that the difference between 16k and 33k miles is huge.

Regarding what your dealer told you, he's making that outta whole cloth. In possible defense of the dealer, is it possible you misunderstood him?

Let's put it this way, the dealer had a direct way of selling you the more expensive jeep by telling the truth. Instead he opted to lie to sell you the less expensive vehicle? Doesn't make sense to me.

I wouldn't call a 4x2 Jeep a joke, but when you buy the 4x2 jeep, the only reasons left is exterior styling and price.

It's a 5 passenger vehicle, just like a Volkswagon Jetta is. Its cargo space isn't great so you really can't claim carrying capacity. Mileage is typical of any larger SUV, so you can't claim economy. The Jeep has (for me) been perfectly reliable, but I don't know if it's the most reliable vehicle for the price.

So in the end, you're not left with much else. Also, as a general rule, 4x4 vehicles hold value more than 4x2 vehicles. Even when a 4x4 is old and tired, has scratched paint and what not, it'll sell better because of the 4x4 capability.

Jeepman56

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You will be alot less likely to have problems in the snow if you upgrade your tires from the stock Wranglers that came on it. If you aren't wheeling you probably will not need mud tires so stick to ATs or street, from there pick a size you like, 245/70 is biggest for stock. As far as actual tire, you can do research at Tirerack.

jnaut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
One last thing, in NYC, I'm guessing they maintain the roads pretty well out there, so I'm not sure how many people can't get by without a 4x4. I'm thinking very few. Outside of off-roading-- which is a situation one usually gets into voluntarily, I've actually needed my 4x4 capability maybe three times in the four years I've owned it. We get very little snow out here in the NW, except in the mountain passes. And while I use my jeep in 4wd going to the ski slopes, there are a lot of volkswagon Jettas soldiering through it somehow, albeit a little slower with a little more slipping. But hey, guess how many 4x4 suv's I see in the ditches as I'm heading up the passes? Lots. Lord knows why.

But actually NEEDING my 4wd- ie, I wasn't moving, and no one else was, until I put it in 4wd, maybe three times. And I'm the first to admit that each of those three times, I was beaming from ear to ear, patting myself on the back for buying the right vehicle as I literally drive past three or four dozen 'trapped' vehicles.

DeluXXXe

Reaction score
Great... Now I feel worse than before.

WTF would Jeep put out a 4x2 model???? Seems kinda silly if you ask me...

No, I DID NOT misunderstand the salesman, I vividly recall him stating it...

Last edited:

ThunderbirdJunkie

Bronze Supporter
Reaction score
So people like you can buy them? :D

Sorry, that was a low blow.

My guess is, the dealer talked him into the 4x2 because it'd probably been sitting on the lot longer, being a 4x2 in the snow belt...it was likely to do so.

Let's say a car was sitting on a lot for 90 days...they'll tell the salespeople "if you sell this car, we'll give you $200 on top of what you'll already make". I mean, they DO have to move inventory.

It really helps (them) in situations like yours where they have two similar vehicles, but one is obviously less desirable than the other.

As to why Jeep would make a 4x2...
There's this place called the South...and lots of people buy 4x2 Jeeps to look the part, since they don't need 4wd for the snow.
I bought my KJ in Memphis, TN, and it was actually a pain in the butt to FIND a 4x4 KJ

DeluXXXe

Reaction score
Thanks, TBJ...

I chose the 4x2 because it was a 2007 (the 4x4 was a 2006) and it still had 20,000 miles left on the warranty. Plus it was $1,900 cheaper.

Honestly, Im regretting not taking a closer look at the Hyundai Tuscon

Last edited:

long_tall_texan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Your 4x2 KJ is far better then a tuscon(blarg).

I agree! I am one of those in the "south" that has a 4x2. I could have gotten 4x4 for roughly the same price, but really didn't need it. And I would NEVER trade it for a Tuscon. Your KJ will last you a lot longer.

And... I bet there aren't so many people on forums willing to give all this free advice, and help for the Tuscon...

drive.gif

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score

No, I DID NOT misunderstand the salesman, I vividly recall him stating it...

Don't feel bad. A lot of 2wd jeeps are sold depending on the area. Down where you are there is not much snow. I'm sure you will be ok. Just put better tires on it as was said and you will be fine. You also have mass transit in NYC.

Up here it is different. No mass transit. You need to get somewhere, you drive or you don't go. Jeeps are 4wd. We sometimes get blasted with snow in the winter. A 2 foot + storm is usually in our winter season along with other smaller ones. A 6" to 12" storm is common.

They had a foot or more of snow yesterday in the Adirondacks and Catskills according to the weather reports.Power out everywhere. It is a mess. We lucked out where I am and just got light flurries that didn't stick and then hard rain. We have some dirt mountain roads. It is just different up here.

I have occasion to use 4wd frequently up here.

Down in NYC you will be ok. It is rare to get a lot of snow down there in NYC. Don't worry about it.

Dave

jnaut

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Generally, it's about market positioning. They might sell a few thousand more units for a little bit cheaper to people who like the styling and idea of an SUV, but have no real functional need for 4wd.

Not all market positioning ideas are successful. Ie, the 2.4l Engine that was in the first couple of years of Liberty's. They discontinued it because it was... pointless.

jnaut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Generally, I'm a big fan of All Wheel Drive for people who don't off-road, but want or desire more traction in marginally slippery conditions, such as NYC where roads are well maintained. Few consumers have a real need for 4wd. Most would do fine with AWD.

icarl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you like the vehicle then what does it matter if its 4x2. If you want 4x4 trade it in on a 4x4. If you are worried about safety in light snow city driving you would probably do better to use winter rated tires than a 4x4 anyway. 4x4 helps you get going faster and helps a little around the corners in the snow but does not help you stop any quicker.

Snow tires will make a bigger difference in terms of more traction around corners and stoping then 4x4 does. This winter I will be driving a FWD vehicle with snow tires most of the time for work and I live in Northern Canada. So 4x4 helps but it is not necessary for city driving.

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
Ahem....

as someone who has had a KJ with ESP...

... and has driven in the snow in 2WD....

The ESP *does* in fact HELP. It doesn't at ALL make it into a 4x4 by any means, but it does HELP.

An open differential will naturally transmit the power to the wheel with the least traction. That's just how it works. In order to guarantee the power split 50/50, you'll need a locker.

But anyway, the ESP will brake the wheel with the least traction and the power will go to the wheel with the most traction. So if you're in a case where one rear tire is on ice and the other isn't....

Without ESP: The tire which is on ice will spin, and the other will do nothing.
With ESP: The tire which is on ice will get braked, thanks to the ESP, and the other will move, which will get the vehicle moving again.

I've tried and tested this way too many times to know.

So... don't feel SO bad. But I'd have certainly purchased the 4x4 Jeep regardless.

This is just an example to get my point across. Now I'm not saying that all situations will be similar. Now if both tires don't have any traction, then you're out of luck and stuck, and the ESP will most likely slow you down. Just play around with the ESP on / off (which isn't actually off, just desensitized) to see what works for you in different situations.

Luke

Interloper
Reaction score
Thanks, TBJ...

I chose the 4x2 because it was a 2007 (the 4x4 was a 2006) and it still had 20,000 miles left on the warranty. Plus it was $1,900 cheaper.

Honestly, Im regretting not taking a closer look at the Hyundai Tuscon

Good Lord, Don't make it worse on yourself that it needs to be ...lol! You are miles ahead of the game with a 4x2 Libby instead of a Hyundai.

I don't know about the used car laws where you are but in Ontario you have 30 days before you are stuck with your purchase. I would go back to that dealer after talking with a legal rep and swap that sucker for the 06... quick fast! If you can't live with your current purchase that is.

Good Luck,
Luke

jeepmedic

Reaction score
All of the trucks I have owned that are rear wheel drive have been horrible in the snow. The KJ and my wifes F150 both suck in the snow when they are in 2 wheel. The back ends are all over the road. I had a front wheel drive hatchback that would run circles around the KJ when in 2 wheel drive.

Jeep = 4x4

But hey, at least you now have a Jeep right ?:)

Latest posts

Members online