4wd problems

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gatortail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It could be as simple as the linkage on the shifter, to case not fully engaging, not biggy, what year is this..

gatortail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In the air one front tire can spin one way while the other spins the otherway and the driveshaft stay still.The exact same thing will happen on the rear if open(no locker or LSD).The driveshaft can spin but does not have,does not mean any problem.

If shifting into 4hi while moving(and in gear) there should be no grinding at all,in or out of 4hi.The 231 command trac is a direct shift t-case you are either in or not in 4wd.

True, but not always, when linkage is not rite you can put in 2wd by hand , but the case still be locked.. it happened to me , pulled out of boat ramp turn the wheels sharp on asphalt, then snap.. $ everything isn't allways by the book...

KJScott

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just a hint (and not a complaint), but if you think of something after you post that you wish you had added, just edit your post. Makes it look less like a Burma Shave ad. :D

Well I learned something today, Burma Shave LOL! Like approaching a roadside boiled peanut stand here in Florida.

OK, now back to the original problem. Sorry.

jeepingirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Had it at the garage last night it didn't engage in 4 we after sitting in a warm garage it was fine WTH

jeepingirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I learned something today, Burma Shave LOL! Like approaching a roadside boiled peanut stand here in Florida.

OK, now back to the original problem. Sorry.

Sorry there buddy as I said I am new to this and couldn't figure it out

Porkchop

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Couple basics to check would be the linkage to the t-case and drain the the t-case fluid and screen and check it. Also if you go to a good Trans shop they can check or do the repair to it for you cheaper then a dealership and some will check it for free or not charge for the check if they do the repair.

jeepingirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Couple basics to check would be the linkage to the t-case and drain the the t-case fluid and screen and check it. Also if you go to a good Trans shop they can check or do the repair to it for you cheaper then a dealership and some will check it for free or not charge for the check if they do the repair.

Thanks I will check into that ....don't understand that if its not bitterly cold out I don't have a problem

Porkchop

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thats what makes me think it's the cable. But that's only my opinion without looking at it. I've seen parking brake cables do the same thing in the cold that or they don't want to release after pulled.

jeepingirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thats what makes me think it's the cable. But that's only my opinion without looking at it. I've seen parking brake cables do the same thing in the cold that or they don't want to release after pulled.

You can come to PA to look at it. Lol

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.