42RLE Shudder in reverse

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bullett55

Full Access Member
Reaction score
#1 issue.
Does everyone's 42RLE shudder in reverse when under a load (like backing up a moderatly steep driveway?? '05 w/70M. Jeep dealer said reverse clutches were bad and rebuilt the trans 2 weeks ago. It is doing it again.

#2 issue.
Also since rebuild, cannot feather in and out of lockup (just lockup - no downshift desired) above ~50mph. Before rebuild when going up a modest grade I could depress throttle a small amt and trans would smoothly slip out of lockup giving me an extra 300+/- rpm which was plenty to maintain speed w/o downshifting into 3rd (adding lots of unneeded rpm - 1000+ or so - way overkill!). NOW, once I'm over ~50mph, and depress the throttle a modest amt (like before) nothing happens. I have to keep adding throttle to the point where the trans downshifts all the way to 3rd - which is way more rpm than I need or want! I really liked everything about the way the shift program worked before the rebuild. Now I'm not happy with it. The reason this is important to me is because I frequently tow my jet ski (total weight of trailer & ski is only 1000lb) 300-500 mi to various race venues. I really liked being able to feather in and out of lockup only! Going back to dealer tomorrow hoping there is a throttle position sensor or load sensor that can be adjusted. "Film at eleven..." - lol.

Last edited:

J-Thompson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I hope you did not pay for a rebuild at the dealer
this is normal for the 42rle
as for the lock/unlock
I could not help you there as that is a judgement issue
I like more rpm so a down shift is fine with me
it does not hurt any thing to down shift
The KJ did it with the 45rfe
my F250 does it ,5 speed auto
the wifes VW does it ,6 speed auto 70 mph = 2600 rpm down to 5th = 3200 or more
I can get to 4th if I push hard enough 4600+ rpm
my TJ would do it but there is no place for it to go
3 speed auto so 2800 rpm at 65 mph 2nd gear would be over 4000 and the trans knows that the 4.0 is not at all happy with that

Bullett55

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thx "J". I edited my post after you responded, adding that the reason I liked that ability to feather in and out of lockup is for those long race trips towing that light trailer. I realize downshifting is not harmful, I just hate having to stuff the throttle thereby triggering an unneeded downshift. These are long trips, and according to my scan gauge I get better mpg when I'm cruising up a modest grade just out of lockup as compared to being downshifted into 3rd going up the same grade. I know, I'm too picky - lol. But it was perfect before and I just want it back the way it was.

Bullett55

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thx tjkj... ok I can handle that I guess. Is the shuddering doing any serious damage or do we just accept that as normal behavior for a 42?

Plus, please read my edited post(s) above regarding issue #2 regarding feathering in and out of lockup w/out going all the way back into third - I tow a light trailer and I like that ability. What do you think??

osufans

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thx tjkj... ok I can handle that I guess. Is the shuddering doing any serious damage or do we just accept that as normal behavior for a 42?

Plus, please read my edited post(s) above regarding issue #2 regarding feathering in and out of lockup w/out going all the way back into third - I tow a light trailer and I like that ability. What do you think??

I know what you're talking about...and mine works that way, like it should as far as I'm concerned (in and out of lockup w/no downshift).

What kind of shift programming did you have done?

LibertyOrDeath

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thx tjkj... ok I can handle that I guess. Is the shuddering doing any serious damage or do we just accept that as normal behavior for KJ?

It is normal. Its like starting a stick in 2nd or 3rd gear. Just make damn sure your transmission is in gear before you give it gas. If you are revved up and shift into R then you will eliminate that gear. Trust me...

Sent from my Droid

Bullett55

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know what you're talking about...and mine works that way, like it should as far as I'm concerned (in and out of lockup w/no downshift).

What kind of shift programming did you have done?

No shift programming (reprograming) has ever been performed. Strictly OEM here. KJ back at dealer today, xmission tech understood what I was talking about, we'll see....

semper_rideo

Reaction score
For me the cruise control is more consistent in unlocking the torque converter. When I try to do it myself it's pretty spotty. Hmmm maybe I need to adjust the amount of lead in my right shoe?

On the other topic: ***** to have a 42rle

osufans

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i'd have to check on the 42RLE, but on other auto's if you hold the accelerator steady while driving, and tap the brake pedal, that usually kicks out the converter lockup.

you can do that to test and see if the converter is unlocking like it's supposed to.

Bullett55

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Interesting..., never done that. Rennie staying @ dealer over night. My first choice is still to just have the 'lockup' function as it always has up until 2 wks ago when Dlr rebuilt the trans. Thx osu.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yup, my 42rle has always shuttered in R. Never really bothered me.

I would be very upset if my torque didnt unlock going up hills like youre talking about. 90% of the hills where I live require the torque only to unlock with no downshift. Very interested in hearing why its not doing it now.

Just as a note, with my scan gauge I know exactly how much gas to give it to make it not unlock or to unlock. Its pretty neat :)

Bullett55

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Exactly!! I really liked being able to 'feather' it in or out of lockup, as appropriate for the load, with a gentle nudge of the throttle.

Last edited: