42RLE Shift Lever Restrictions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jja

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was shifting form R to N today and on pressing the release button at the front of the shift lever there was a cracking sound and I literally felt something let go. Successfully shifted to N, though. Started playing with the lever after that and found out I could do R->N, N->D and D->N without pressing the release button. The lever just moves freely on these transitions.

So, I wonder whether I broke something in the shifter. Never tried shifting without pressing the button before so I don't really know whether this was possible or not. How does it work on your KJs, guys?

JasonJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Disassemble the shift lever and check it out. Sounds like the interlock busted... although, it is normal to be able to push it forward from D to N without the button... not sure about reverse though, have to check that out on mine.

jja

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, please, check. I couldn't find anything in the manual so I don't really knwo what is normal.