4.7 Throttle Body on our 3.7

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

chris03kj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi all, i have heard about noticeable gains on KK's if they swap the TB from a 4.7 motor to the 3.7, but has anyone tried this with a KJ? I can't find much about it on here so I'm trying to see if anyone has seen any gains in power, MPG, or anything? for the like 50 bucks that it'll cost, I'm wondering if its worth it. Does anyone know?

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Hi all, i have heard about noticeable gains on KK's if they swap the TB from a 4.7 motor to the 3.7, but has anyone tried this with a KJ? I can't find much about it on here so I'm trying to see if anyone has seen any gains in power, MPG, or anything? for the like 50 bucks that it'll cost, I'm wondering if its worth it. Does anyone know?

Personally I think some of it is in their heads thinking they have more power.
A great KJ friend sent me one, have it on the 04, maybe slightly more power on long grades but mileage is not any better, around town not any better really either.
Would I spend the money to do it? :shrug: Don't think so

John3seventeen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Tom I believe what you have is a TB from an 04 3.7 bored out to the approximate size of a stock 4.7 TB. The problem with the 4.7 is the bolt pattern is different where it bolts to the intake. Seems like Jeep swapped little parts on these from year to year. The 04 wont work on an 03 and vice versa because they changed the electronics for the throttle position etc.

You'll have to ask some of the KK members who have done the swap to verify this but from my understanding the intake was changed on the KK and the 4.7 TB bolts right up.

Last edited:

jeeptorino68

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Tried this on my 2002, it won't bolt up, the of on the throttle body is bigger too so it won't connect to the air intake (resonator box) so you would need an 04+ intake tube, and 04+ manifold to do it.
I will probably just bore the stock throttle body, might try and put a 4.7 butterfly in it, we will see. Electronics would all hook up, but it just physically doesn't work.
Some info on it over on lost http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=80036

Last edited:

John3seventeen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Tried this on my 2002, it won't bolt up, the of on the throttle body is bigger too so it won't connect to the air intake (resonator box) so you would need an 04+ intake tube, and 04+ manifold to do it.
I will probably just bore the stock throttle body, might try and put a 4.7 butterfly in it, we will see. Electronics would all hook up, but it just physically doesn't work.
Some info on it over on lost LOST JEEPS • View topic - 4.7 throttle body on 3.7

Wouldnt bolt to the 04 intake either. Running an 04 intake now with a 03 Hypotek TB bored out to 65.5 mm.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Probably won't do much if anything. Actually might loose a bit of low end power.

04Liberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
With a stock engine, you aren't really going to see any gains going to a bigger TB. The hemi guys fall for this all the time to really take advantage of it you need to have done major work, heads, cam(s), etc.