3500mile, 5national parks, KJ road trip!!! (56k ouch)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

twack

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ive been real big into photography and state/national parks. I decided it was time to take a trip to see a good number of them. So i set aside 8 days to go see 5 national parks, (rocky mountain, teton, yellowstone, wind cave, and badlands) and a few state parks. my kj had 133k miles on her when we started so she is no spring chicken. The day before i left i got an alignment and the oil changed. I did decide to use my smaller tires to save some gas milage and so i wouldnt kill the tread on my larger tires, in the end im very glad i did this because all those mountain roads really took a toll on my tread. After this trip i need new front brake pads and front sway bar end links, but she held together with only a little noise. Ill post up all my KJ pics unedited but for the rest of the 4000 pics i took i will be going through them and editing the good ones. so dont hate on the unedited ones and edited ones will come in the future. enough talking heres some KJ pics

You must be registered for see images attach

just under 10,000 feet

Last edited:

ptsb5a

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nice pics Twack, plan on publishing a coffee table sorta picture book? I have to get out more with my Canon and get creative. Good work dude.

staindvans

Full Access Member
Reaction score
very cool pictures man. i wish there were more interesting state parks here in Wisconsin to go take pictures at. what kind of camera do you use? any super expensive lenses? I have a Nikon D80 (don't hate on me if you have a Canon). also what size are your "little tires" i'm trying to figure out if a slightly lifted KJ will look silly with 245/70r16.

anyways totally cool pictures man, i need to take pictures of my jeep in cool places this summer.

jnaut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Twack. Excellent pics. How did you get the effect on that one you took in the tunnel?

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
Awesome pics Twack. I like the one in the tunnel too.

Dave

TruLiberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Correct me if I'm wrong, but this, and the tunnel are on route 16 out towards Cody right? Only spot in Ystone that the canyons look like this IIRC.

Loved Ystone when i was there for 2 months back in 03. would give anything to go back.

twack

Full Access Member
Reaction score

twack

Full Access Member
Reaction score
truliberty- for me that was just leaving cody state park right after the dam i believe. To be honest we did a decent amout of hiking but nothing great or extreme. I got pretty altitude sick for a lot of it but that comes with the territory of being me, my equilibrium and everything associated with it always gets messed up but i wouldnt miss any of this for anything.

jnaut- belive it or not but thats being hand held with a slower shutter speed

staind vans- you need to get out more, the wisconsin state parks were some of my first to explore. Every state park has something great to photograph. I do shoot with a canon xti but i dont play brand favorites. although i have others, i did all my shooting with 2 lenses on this trip. I used the kit canon 18-55 lens and my tamron 75-300. neither is image stabilizer. Most of the time i had my camera next to me and my zoom lens in the cup holder to get animal shots quick.

ptsb5a- through out this trip i came up with the idea of about half a dozen themed books from my pictures here.....how many will actually get made is another story

Last edited:

yellocoyote

Administrator
Reaction score
Only one thing I see wrong with these pictures... your KJ is always parked on pavement. :(

:p

KeswickDave

Gold Moderator
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
LOL at the zoom in the cup holder, I do that too :) I'm packing a 5 year old Nikon D70, just so the Nikonians don't feel left out! I have the kit 18-70mm zoom, and a Nikon 70-300 zoom.

staindvans

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I really need a longer zoom have an 18-135mm and a 105mm macro. you dont have any recommendations on wisconsin state parks. im like 5 minutes from high cliff. ive been to copper falls, point beach, and devils lake state parks.

twack

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ill have to look at a map of the WI state parks. but anything thats on the mississippi is a winner for me. When i go to the dells i stay at rocky arbor state park, their campsites are really nice, private and its close to all the attractions.

jeepfrog

Reaction score
Beautiful pictures!
A couple of the shots taken in the Badlands look almost like one I took when we were there last summer. We're going back to Yellowstone this year to do some more exploring.