3 inch rough country lift

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

FenwickAngler

Reaction score
Hey guys, on to building my 3rd KJ look for my intro about other two if you don't understand why I'm going to ask for recommendation and opinions.. (I'll add link to post later, on phone and at work currently)

My 3rd KJ is not going to be too ******** I will be honest. I want it to be my 2nd Driver next to my car. It will be my light off-road, fishing trips, hunting trips jeep.

I came across the 3inch rough country, while browsing the forums, I see some don't like them, for some good reasons but would.it do fine for my use? This stuff really gets to a personal usage level so I want to make my own post. I want to be at the 3, 3.5 inch area, I don't wish to go to crazy on price, so for suggestions, please be reasonable with the price of.this lift, 299. I can go up more if swayed but reasonable, don't shoot me 32827483827$ lift kits.

It's an 2003 Liberty Sport. If you think it will be good, what may I need on top of the lift itself, I never used rough country heard great things about them (as well bad, everyone will criticize something.at some.point). I read break lines need to be extended on old KJs different story for me?

VAhlene

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok so here is my take on the whole Rough Country lift, the spring that come with the lift are the same spring rate as stock springs, meaning you will get lift when you first install them but they will sag very quickly and you will be back close to stock hieght.
The shock included are complete Junk as well.

Also people say that they want this lift as their Jeep will not be used off road that much or at all and just want improved ride quality. I have yet to hear of one person who as installed the rough country lift and said it was so much better and rode nice.

Your best bet it Old Man Emu coils and Bilstein Shocks from there you can add little thing to get you to the hieght you are looking for. The coils themselves will net you about 2-2.5 inches.... add a top plate and or clevis spacer and your right near the 3-3.5" mark you are wanting to be at. You may also need to get Jeepin By Al's control arms depending on how much you lift, some people need them others don't, It will help with alignment and spring contact with the upper a-arm.

All this can be had in a nice little kit from Jeepin By Al called the Econo Lift, comes with all 4 coil spring, 4 shocks, upper control arms and clevis spacer depending on lift you want up front, several people have this kit and have nothing but good to say about it.

Hope that helps some, Im sure others will chime in. Do some more research you will see there is only a couple companies that sell quality lifts for the KJ and rough country is nnot one of them. Cheers!

FenwickAngler

Reaction score
Ok so here is my take on the whole Rough Country lift, the spring that come with the lift are the same spring rate as stock springs, meaning you will get lift when you first install them but they will sag very quickly and you will be back close to stock hieght.
The shock included are complete Junk as well.

Also people say that they want this lift as their Jeep will not be used off road that much or at all and just want improved ride quality. I have yet to hear of one person who as installed the rough country lift and said it was so much better and rode nice.

Your best bet it Old Man Emu coils and Bilstein Shocks from there you can add little thing to get you to the hieght you are looking for. The coils themselves will net you about 2-2.5 inches.... add a top plate and or clevis spacer and your right near the 3-3.5" mark you are wanting to be at. You may also need to get Jeepin By Al's control arms depending on how much you lift, some people need them others don't, It will help with alignment and spring contact with the upper a-arm.

All this can be had in a nice little kit from Jeepin By Al called the Econo Lift, comes with all 4 coil spring, 4 shocks, upper control arms and clevis spacer depending on lift you want up front, several people have this kit and have nothing but good to say about it.

Hope that helps some, Im sure others will chime in. Do some more research you will see there is only a couple companies that sell quality lifts for the KJ and rough country is nnot one of them. Cheers!

Yea, I thought looking at the price it was to good to be true but I've heard people around my area talk good of them (note: im closer to the city xD ). I figure I would ask being lighter offroading. I just looked up Econo. Looks good, obvious higher then were I wanted on price but still not bad considering what it includes. I will obviously do more research, holding off may be the best route, maybe get my tires then the lift later. I want to budget myself, I told myself I wouldn't go to-to crazy since I have so much shit in life going on. And from what you said, you made it clear its all junk, not just one or two parts. Have you used RC yourself?

With this being said, I still wish to here from others and there opinions/suggestions.

Thanks alot!

Last edited:

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Rough Country lifts only provide rear springs, and use a spacer to get lift in the front. So you are using already sagged worn out suspension to try and build a lift on. Not only is everything worn out, which gives a bad ride / handling it won't last long either
Its going to take some coin to do it right but the savings will come in how long it lasts, the ride and handling etc

FenwickAngler

Reaction score
Rough Country lifts only provide rear springs, and use a spacer to get lift in the front. So you are using already sagged worn out suspension to try and build a lift on. Not only is everything worn out, which gives a bad ride / handling it won't last long either
Its going to take some coin to do it right but the savings will come in how long it lasts, the ride and handling etc

whats you personal reccomendation?

As well, do you think its all junk? I just had springs replaced, like 5,000 miles ago, ****** rebuilt and all that crap (even thought the rest does apply much xD). Would you still say its a no go? I am sorry, I just want to be 100% postive and I appreciate all feedback I am definitly leaning away from them atm.

Last edited:

Members online