3.7l donut gaskets?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

teeje

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello all, I got my exhaust all welded up and done but in getting a leak where the cats meet the crossover pipe (y pipe) did these use donut gaskets? I've look on auto zone and went to the store to see what they look like and it doesn't look correct. I used high temp ultra copper to seal the flanges. Odds are my passenger side just isn't right enough causing a small leak. Driver side is fine. Any input is appreciated

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

teeje

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nothing on this? I'm sure someone has replaced their y pipe or cats before and had to re seal the flanges

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ltd02

Comfortably numb
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not sure but did you look at Rock auto under the exhaust section? They have a few flange gasket/seal options that may work. I have to replace my post cat/y pipe spring bolts soon and I think I'll need the 2-bolt gasket they have.

teeje

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not sure but did you look at Rock auto under the exhaust section? They have a few flange gasket/seal options that may work. I have to replace my post cat/y pipe spring bolts soon and I think I'll need the 2-bolt gasket they have.

I've checked everywhere and I cannot find anything. I'm replacing the passenger side spring bolts today after work and the driver side later this week. Guess ill be using more ultra copper

teeje

Full Access Member
Reaction score

ltd02

Comfortably numb
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
That seal is designed to fit in a beveled end. If you have that type junction and the diameter is correct then I'd say they are correct. I think those are the same things as on the RockAuto page I mentioned before. It says there that they are for both front cat outlets and rear cat (ypipe on our 3 cat 02) inlet. Pretty sure this is the junction you are referring too.

I'm almost certain (80%) that that is what you need. If the Walker ain't it then the other two (FelPro/Bosal) probably are.

http://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/...386851,exhaust,pipe+flange+gasket+/+seal,5836

Last edited:

teeje

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That seal is designed to fit in a beveled end. If you have that type junction and the diameter is correct then I'd say they are correct. I think those are the same things as on the RockAuto page I mentioned before. It says there that they are for both front cat outlets and rear cat (ypipe on our 3 cat 02) inlet. Pretty sure this is the junction you are referring too.

I'm almost certain (80%) that that is what you need. If the Walker ain't it then the other two (FelPro/Bosal) probably are.

http://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/...386851,exhaust,pipe+flange+gasket+/+seal,5836

Okay thanks. I'll keep you posted

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So far I've found this: More Information for WALKER 31533

and this Exhaust Flange Gasket at AutoZone.com - Best Exhaust Flange Gasket Products for Cars, Trucks & SUVs

When I look at it, it looks correct. But I'm not certainthat these go between the Y Pipe and Cats..

That one at AutoZone is similar to one I've used before - but they have a thicker one that works better. I had to cut it down and make it thinner (not easy since there is a metal mesh inside the donut that doesn't like to be cut...) but it did seal off the gap between the cat and the Y-pipe.

Bob

teeje

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That one at AutoZone is similar to one I've used before - but they have a thicker one that works better. I had to cut it down and make it thinner (not easy since there is a metal mesh inside the donut that doesn't like to be cut...) but it did seal off the gap between the cat and the Y-pipe.

Bob

You had to cut it?

teeje

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It was too thick - as purchased, it prevented the cat and Y-pipe from being able to bolt together. Had to cut it thinner to make it work.

Bob

So thats what I should expect to do if I buy those from autozone?

CactusJacked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I replaced my donut gaskets when dropping the exhaust to remove the trans. What you have at the end is a straight section of pipe inside the bevel portion, and the taper end of the donut fits into that open area, if you get what I'm saying. But, part of the old donuts baked themselves into the pipe, and it took a lot of digging-hammering-chiseling-poking to get them out. Initially removing the donuts left a flat area at the end of the bevel where they separated and part of it remained. It almost looked "normal" like it's part of the pipe, being that they're metallic based. But no, leave it that way, and a new donut ain't gonna fit right, nor will the pipes. Mine were opposite left to right, where the donut fit into the bevel of the cross pipe on one side, and into the bevel of the cat pipe on the other side.

teeje

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I replaced my donut gaskets when dropping the exhaust to remove the trans. What you have at the end is a straight section of pipe inside the bevel portion, and the taper end of the donut fits into that open area, if you get what I'm saying. But, part of the old donuts baked themselves into the pipe, and it took a lot of digging-hammering-chiseling-poking to get them out. Initially removing the donuts left a flat area at the end of the bevel where they separated and part of it remained. It almost looked "normal" like it's part of the pipe, being that they're metallic based. But no, leave it that way, and a new donut ain't gonna fit right, nor will the pipes. Mine were opposite left to right, where the donut fit into the bevel of the cross pipe on one side, and into the bevel of the cat pipe on the other side.

You're saying leave the old gasket on there?

teeje

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If wanting to replace the donut, then pretty sure what I was saying :)gr_grin:) is you need to remove all remnants of the old one.

Sorry I try to be up to date with this and I was hardly awake this morning and Mia read your post. I've called the dealer, exhaust shops, everyone says no gaskets. What the hell.

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry I try to be up to date with this and I was hardly awake this morning and Mia read your post. I've called the dealer, exhaust shops, everyone says no gaskets. What the hell.

What year is your KJ? Jeep changed the exhaust a few times over the years and I know for later model years the way in which the cats attach to the Y-pipe is different. Even the design of the Y-pipe varies slightly - JBA had fits with the 4XGuard ****** skid because of slight differences in the Y-pipe. Caused Marlin to have to make lots of changes to his design to account for the variations.

All that to say that depending on the year of your KJ you may not have the design that requires a donut gasket. When your engine was swapped did you notice if there was a donut gasket in place?

Bob

CactusJacked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
His is an 02, so he should have the same setup as mine (with donuts), unless Jeep made a change within the 02 model year.

CzarKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
His is an 02, so he should have the same setup as mine (with donuts), unless Jeep made a change within the 02 model year.

My 03 (made in December 02) has the round gaskets on that connection. Was a ***** to get out and I still think i didn't get it to seal properly.

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yea, my experience with my '03 was similar. Getting the bloody things to seal was an adventure...

The '02 exhaust should be pretty much the same, though the routing is a little different thanks to the (better) 45RFE transmission.

Bob

teeje

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yea, my experience with my '03 was similar. Getting the bloody things to seal was an adventure...

The '02 exhaust should be pretty much the same, though the routing is a little different thanks to the (better) 45RFE transmission.

Bob

Well how am I gonna get them to seal?

Latest posts

Members online