3.7L Decent or not?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

incommando

Banned
Reaction score
I really like the 3.7L/6-spd combo in my '05. It was mentioned on another BBS that we trash the 3.7L on our boards, and I have never seen this. Opinions on the 3.7L?

grogiefrog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The YJ/TJ crowd on JU sometimes trashes the 3.7 for a lack of power. The next version of the Wrangler (TK) is going to ship with the 3.7 (the I6 is out). The 3.7 is a good, modern design, and does fine in the KJ IMHO. Even guys in WK's generally like it.

kjk

Reaction score
I'm not sure about bashing, but given the choice between the 4.0 I6, and the 3.7 V6, I liked the I6 in my XJ better. That's not bashing the V6, it still runs fairly strong for the large amount of mass in the KJ. I see DCX's logic behind getting rid of the I6, for more standardization across platforms, but the I6 was nice, torquey, and you could put a ton of miles on the thing. EDIT (for the glorified tractor motor that it was \:D/ )

CHUD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
incommando said:
Opinions on the 3.7L?

Performance = very decent

Gas mileage = obscenely indecent

Reliability = Outstanding

And like the 4.0 , the 3.7 is a truck engine, not a girly, car engine.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think the 3.7 is a great engine. It has more power then the 4.0 and the only reason people like the 4.0 more is b/c they drove a cherokee that weighed alot less. The 3.7 would out perform the 4.0 if u put it in the cherokee, and would probably get better mpg than the 4.0 does. Wish we had a v8 though. when i hit a 150k ill get back to u on how i like the engine.

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
jeepjeepster said:
I think the 3.7 is a great engine. It has more power then the 4.0 and the only reason people like the 4.0 more is b/c they drove a cherokee that weighed alot less. The 3.7 would out perform the 4.0 if u put it in the cherokee, and would probably get better mpg than the 4.0 does. Wish we had a v8 though. when i hit a 150k ill get back to u on how i like the engine.

Finally, some sense of reason and facts! Maybe one of these days, the JU guys might realize that. There's no probably... I'd be willing to bet the 3.7L would get about 4-5MPG better than the Libby in the Cherokee.

The 4.0L is getting discontinued because of standardization, yes, but also because in order for that thing to meet new emissions standards (It's a dirty engine!) it would require a ground up redesign which basically is an entirely new engine.

With that said, I love the 3.7L!

I wouldn't say that too quick about the Wrangler and the 3.7L... from what I'm hearing... I'm thinking 3.8L. Yup, THAT 3.8L.

incommando

Banned
Reaction score
I have heard that production demand for the 3.7L may make the TK get the 3.8L Grand Caravan motor..... But nothing beyond the rumor mill.

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
Hehehehehe, we're hearing the same thing then. \:D/

(Although the 3.8L is now only used in the GC, it's not specific to the GC. Back in the day, it was used in other vehicles.)

gsbrockman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The 3.7L is indeed a great little engine......enough power for a KJ but I'd say lacking in a full size Dodge RAM 1500 pickup. Never had a minutes trouble out of the 3.7L in the wife's '02 Liberty Sport 4x4....maintenance was easy and the gaskets were great....that engine was dry as a bone at 52k miles or so when we sold it. The 4.0L I6 was hard to beat in the torque department though......inline designs have that advantage over most V configurations. I was a little skiddish about the 3.7L as 2002 was the first year for the engine......it displaced all rumours of 1st year engines in my book.
Greg

CHUD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
gsbrockman said:
I was a little skiddish about the 3.7L as 2002 was the first year for the engine......it displaced all rumours of 1st year engines in my book.
Greg

DC played it smart with this engine. It is virtually identical to the 4.7 V8 which was introduced in 1999 and was relatively tried & true. That fact brought my "trust-factor" up a couple notches.

UKKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The best thing about the 3.7 are the comedy launch speeds that can be carried out...

Up to about 20mph...you would need an Impreza or a bike to keep up!!

Also, with TracLok in 2WD, exiting junctions sideways is always fun...as soon as it rains engage 4WD full time!!

Eddo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
jeepjeepster said:

Very well put. Everyone talks about how sluggish it is compared to the 4.0 in the Cherokee. But it weight about 700lbs less. Go drive one of the Grand Cherokee's which weights similar to the KJ w/ the 4.0 and you will see the KJ actually feels quicker.

As far as being underpowered. I'm sure we would all like a v-8 but heck you always want more power... it's just like money.