3.7L Coolant Leak, unsure which part this is.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kjrome

Reaction score
Hey everyone, first post here and a bit of a noob so please go easy on me.

I seem to have sprung a coolant leak in my 2002 Jeep Liberty 3.7L 4X4.

I was driving home when all of a sudden I hear the sound of sprinklers under the truck. Luckily it didn't overheat (temp gauge rose just slightly past normal mark) and I got it home in one piece.

When I checked the radiator reservoir it was entirely empty and it took about a gallon of coolant/water solution to get it back to normal. It seems my heater/coolant hose failed and there is a crack in the rubber hose. (I've attached an imgur link).

I also checked my oil cap for condensation/foam/signs of coolant in engine/ head gasket failure, all seems good there.

To test this I popped the hood and turned the car on this morning (radiator reservoir is still at the same level it was last night) and let it idle. No leaks.

Then I revved to about 1.5k RPM and coolant started spraying from the fault in the hose.

Now, I've only just started learning about cars and how to work on them so I'm not very confident in my diagnostic skills. I've spent all night looking through parts manuals and I think it's the heater hose / coolant hose where it attaches to the water pump(?). My theory is that as I accelerate, the water pump pulley works faster, and more forcefully moves water through the cracked hose thus resulting in coolant spray everywhere.

My questions are:

1.) What is this part? (Link to pictures included) Is this actually the heater hose / coolant hose?

2.) Where do I find replacement? Is it a specific OEM part or can I find a generic synthetic rubber hose at a parts store?

TL;DR: My car sprung a coolant leak and I'm not sure what this part is. What do?

Attachments

• 20210837.jpg
    20210837.jpg
    339.8 KB · Views: 70
  • 20210820.jpg
    20210820.jpg
    252.8 KB · Views: 71
  • 2021.jpg
    2021.jpg
    172.6 KB · Views: 72

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score

You may be able to cut those crimps off and buy some heater hose and just clamp it on. I would replace all 5 hoses, the radiator hoses, and the hose from the radiator to the overflow if you want the jeep to be reliable. At that point I would also replace the thermostat with a mopar unit.

Only use 50/50 G05 coolant.

JeepLegend

Kj Legend
Reaction score
Yup what he said, just replace them all and thermostat. You don't wanna get another leak and over heat the vehicle as overheating is the number 1 causes for blown headgaskets

WheelNut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What your looking at are the hoses that run from the engine block to the heater core and to the coolant reservoir. The two lines are connected with a welded on brace. Mopar part number is 55038330AB in parts listing. Rock Auto shows PN 55038331AG, so maybe there was an update. Anyway, access isn't too bad, but do be careful with the plastic pieces that hold the hose assembly in place as you don't want it to move around when the vehicle is running because that will lead to premature failure (more fatigue cycles). As JeepJeepster said use only Zerex G05 HOAT or Mopar HOAT coolant. Do not use universal coolant as it will turn your coolant into goop and clog up the whole system and your engine will overheat.

Service manuals and parts listings are available online- just do a bit of googling. Replacing this hose shouldn't be too hard, but make sure to drain the rad first so you don't make too much of a mess hahaha.

04Liberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

Latest posts

Members online