245-70's-17

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

604KJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
04 Ltd brand new frankenlift, 4.5 ucas, spidertrax, not re gearing.

Will 245-70's-17 work, not going to re-gear, and not sure what spidertrax size to get.

Post pic examples of yours if you can

Can't find much info on 17" rim

Cardhu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
04 Ltd brand new frankenlift, 4.5 ucas, spidertrax, not re gearing.

Will 245-70's-17 work, not going to re-gear, and not sure what spidertrax size to get.

Post pic examples of yours if you can

Can't find much info on 17" rim

are you using stock 17 inch rims that came on your liberty?

Pretty sure their the 1.25 inch spacers. that are 5 on 4.5.

245 70 17 are very close in size(<0.1 inch) to 245 75 16. You should be able to fit with frankenlift but has more to do with what rims your using.

If your buying 17's i would rather use the right size rim then spacers, and probably got to 16's. 2002-Up Liberty KJ & KK

90 bucks x 2 plus shipping puts you awfully close to new rims depending on your taste. Especially when you factor in the cost of 245 75 16 vs 245 70 16. In my neck of the woods its about 50 bucks a tire difference.

604KJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I plan on using the 17" chrome clad rims that came with it. I would be interested in looking at new rims if they were close to the price of spidertrax, but i just haven't seen anything that is. Ill be about $250 or so for spidertrax, where can i get a set of rims (x5) for anywhere close to that? I think the cheapest ive come across was $6 something. I thought about checking out a junkyard to see if they had any, but how do i know which ones off which jeep to look for? Another thing i was thinking about last night is, if i want a 245 on my stock rim, which currently holds a 235, will it still fit? isn't the 245 wider, so how would it fit on the same rim?

Cardhu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
have you priced out the difference in 245 75 16 vs 245 70 17. Add that to your budget.

tires typically have an acceptable range of rim widths that the fit on.
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...WDTOWLV2&vehicleSearch=false&fromCompare1=yes
if you got to specs you'll see its set up for between 6.5 inches to 8 inches width according to the manufacturer. 7 inches being the measured width and recommended.

The issue you'll have is rubbing on the sway bar post lift with the chrome clad rims. I know as i had them before i took them off for 16's.

The most recommended set up for post lift is 7 inches wide, 4 inches of back spacing to best accommodate a 245 75 16 tire. Your bolt pattern for the liberty is 5 on 4.5 with a 71.5 mm hub size.

Last edited:

604KJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
that's a bit confusing for me to understand, I guess I'm basically trying to figure out what the biggest size tire is i can get on there after the Frankenlift including the new arms.

I would like a 245/75/17 (Keeping the Stock Rims), but cannot figure out if they will rub & if i would need to re-gear, because i really can't afford that, and i don't think i would want to put the money into that regardless.

the stock tire i have now, 235/65/17 is about 29.5" and to put the money into the lift kit to only be able to fit a 245/70/17 (Gaining only 1"), i just feel like its not worth it and a waste of $$. Its also a bit late to think about that since i received the kit yesterday :)

I was under the impression wheel spacers would help the rubbing issue, but it sounds like it will make it worse now?

If i could find someone or a shop out here to do my gears for less than $500, then id be into it, but i only bought the thing for $5K, all ready put $2K into the lift, $1K into Tires, if i add another $1-2K for re gearing, then I'm breaking bank..

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Not sure what the confusion is ?????
Most run a 245-75-16 which is 30.6 inches tall
the 245-70-17 that you mentioned is the same height
so either would work.
NOW depending on tread design ( ie A/T or mud type tire) they may rub on the sway bar. Some know they just can't turn as tight while others think they have to crank all the way over and they rub.
Going to a 16 or 17 inch wheel with 4 inches of backspacing takes care of most of the issues if you are lifted

604KJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks a lot Tom, if i put some spidertrax on with a 245/70/17, what would that do for me?

if i run a 245/75/17, would i want to re-gear, is this the size where you get into losing mpg and what not?

I'm pretty sure i will be going with a AT/AS

Luke

Interloper
Reaction score
Spidertrax will move your rub to another area ;) ... mainly front air dam/fender. With some patience and a heat gun that problem is solved though. You will probably want to deal with (pound over) your pinch weld as well.

You are making the Jeep work harder (lift, heavier tires) with the same resources... so yes you will notice a loss in power. Whether it is too much is entirely up to you. Some people hardly notice, others think it was lacking power to begin with ;)

The size you are considering is generally the largest before re-gearing becomes necessary .. then again some don't even agree that 32's require it.

604KJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
totally down for pounding out some pinch welds and heat gun etc... Mostly concerned about performance if i don't re-gear, i think it has plenty of power now, rides great.

Luke

Interloper
Reaction score
You probably won't feel the need then with that size tire. :waytogo:

Personally I don't think it's that bad. BUT I do lock out O.D. a lot to deal with the trans shift points.

604KJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
so to summarize, would everyone agree i would be fine running a 245/75/17, without re-gearing, throwing on some spidertrax for the wider stance, & going to have to make some mods to the inner fenders?

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
My 245/70/17s fitted just fine with no clevis and OME springs/Bilstein shocks with no rubbing.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
so to summarize, would everyone agree i would be fine running a 245/75/17, without re-gearing, throwing on some spidertrax for the wider stance, & going to have to make some mods to the inner fenders?

So wait what size do you want to run or asking about????
You have mentioned 245-70-17s and also now 245-75-17s
245-70-17s are 30.6 so you'll be OK and not lose much power
245-75-17s are 31.7 and you need to regear and may need to do extra cutting etc

People are answering with comments on the 245-70-17s so we need to know which one??? The title even says 245-70-17s and now here you ask 245-75-17s ??? Confusing ?????

604KJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i see what you mean, sorry about that. I definitely have my answer now. I will go with the 70/17's, sorry to be such a newb.

Thanks all for your help, I think i have all the info i need now to complete this project.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Don't be sorry but it was just confusing as to what you wanted and its hard to answer and give you the right information and have to guess! :laughing1:
All is good !

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
No prob! Honestly you can't go wrong with the 245/70/17. Next set of tires I will stick with that size for sure.

Members online

No members online now.