245/70r16 on 16x8 w/ 5" Backspace on stock 05?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kayadog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know for sure if 245/70r16 tires on 16x8 w/ 5" Backspace wheels will fit on a stock 05 sport without too much rubbing?

I am mail ordering so I need for sure. I may need to stick to 235/70r16/

kayadog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think they are the same size as Moabs

I think they are the same size as Moabs. Antone running those with 245/70r16 and no lift?

Thanks!

MoladoGuy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think they are the same size as Moabs. Antone running those with 245/70r16 and no lift?

Thanks!

245/75/16 are the MTR's on the Moabs. 245/70r16 will be fine with no lift on stock 5.5" BS rims. However, you may have slight rubbing when at full lock (left or right turn) based on the fact you are running a rim sitting 1.5" further out than the stock rim.

16x8 is 1" wider and the 5" BS is .5" farther from center.

kayadog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anyone tried it?

Thanks for the reply. That is what I am concerned about. I am hoping someone else has tried it.

anyone?

MoladoGuy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow you have been looking for the right tire/wheel combo for sometime now.
http://www.jeepkj.com/forum/showthread.php?t=32260

I think you have to understand that there is no guarantee you will have "no" rubbing by going with a 16x8 and 245/70r16 on a stock KJ. Many people have experienced some slight rubbing on lifted KJ's that have the same setup where others don't have any rubbing. If you do get some slight rubbing just correct it by closing out the pinch weld or by pushing in the fog light covers. These things are fixable.

If your running 245/70r16 I did have some slight rubbing in reverse at full lock while coming off a curb (driveway to street) while stock. I had the Bridgestone REVO tires. I'm pretty sure I would have to make some adjustments due to rubbing if I ran those same tires on a 16x8 5" BS rim while stock.

GOOD LUCK!!! and Don't feel scared to try it out. Do you have a local shop that can stick a 245/70r16 on your stock rims and see how close you come to rubbing? Then you can visualize if the 16x8 will cause rubbing or not.

kayadog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks

Thanks for an excellent reply. I want to be sure since I am mail ordering at least the rims and possibly the tires.

I have been looking for a long time. I was thinking of 15" rims, but when I tried a friends on for size I didn't like how tight they were at the calipers. My Wrangler ST's have finally worn out so its time to pull the trigger! For otherwise awful tires they sure did wear well!

KJ2005

Reaction score
I have 16x8 moab rims 245/70/16 BFG TA/KO. On the stock lift no rubbung in front but ob the trail,with small tool box and small cooler, the rear tires rub the bottom of plastic fender flares.

kayadog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I went with 245/70r16 General Grabber AT2 on Cragar soft 8 16x8 5" backspace. They look sweet, ride great, and so far the rubbing is minimal but definitely there.

KJ2005

Reaction score
I have 16x8 moab rims 245/70/16 BFG TA/KO. On the stock lift no rubbung in front but ob the trail,with small tool box and small cooler, the rear tires rub the bottom of plastic fender flares.

When I had it loaded with small tool box and small cooler in the back the out edge of the tires woould rub about an inch off the tread from the inner edge of the rear fender flares, this only occured on the trail when the tire/spring was bottoming out from a rock or departure. this doesn't happen anymore with my lift now..

kayadog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks-- Unfortunately mine are rubbing when the rear axle bounces over a bump while turning with an empty Jeep. I cut about 1" off the flares and bent up the sheet metal and its better but still there.

Does anyone else have this problem? Does it eventually result in damage?

Will addding 2 stock spring isloators on each side help?

Members online