235/85R16 fits

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

boebr1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Finally got something with tread on the jeep today... 3 different brands, but all decent tread. 235/85 16's... lots narrower, and same height or slightly taller than 265/75 16's
Fits on the tailgate just fine, window clears it with no spacer.
There was about 1/2" between tread (70%) and plastic over pinch weld.
cut plastic, pounded over pinch weld seam. Cut out inner fenderwell at front of tire, and a small section along frame behind center where the tire was pretty close to it.
Very nice being able to get out of my driveway in 2wd again!
You must be registered for see images

Still looks small here...
But looks pretty full in back, hopefully better pics tomorrow
You must be registered for see images

Last edited:

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
and now time to regear:favorites68:

how much bumpstop in the rear looks real close even sitting on the ground, looks like there would be quite a bit of rub when full flex

boebr1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
going to be picking up a boat trailer roller for making bumpstops, its solid rubber, with a hole through it, and about 9" long and only $6.50. i'll be making bump stops in what ever height I need just to keep rubbing from happening, and have a bunch left over for other projects.
I will be putting in extra upper isolators too.
I didn't get it all the way to full flex, but so far (using a floor jack, until it started to tip to one side) these tires were tucking into the wheel well nicely, not going to rub the flare at all!

With my intitial impression of how these tires fit, I will probably stick with this size. The narrow foot print will provide better winter traction than a tire a lot wider due to more weight per squar inch. And I like how they are tucking into the wheelwell, I won't have to ever worry about ripping off the flare with tread.
I'd even suggest that those of you with the 265/75's might want this size for a spare, as it would be a bit lighter, and it clears the lift gate with no spacer, so you might be able to prolong the life of your tailgate a bit, and still have a useable size spare tire since the height difference is only about a 10th of an inch. 31.649" on the 265/75, and 31.728 on the 235/85.

As far as re-gearing... haven't noticed a need to yet. But then, it is winter, don't need a lot of torque right now. I also am still stock on the exhaust, so I have better low end torque than anyone with a performance muffler. Again, with the narrower tread, there is also going to be less drag coefficient and less rolling resistance than for the wider tires. These might work just fine for me, only time will tell. Going to be pulling a dead cadillac home in a few hours, that will help me see.

Last edited:

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
wider -vs- narrow in snow...whole lot of discussion on both sides which is better
Problem with the 235-85s is weight as most all are are 8 and 10 ply
265-75s work fine on the gate no issues
For me I have always liked a wider tire, don't like the narrow look except on older CJs etc

boebr1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i thought some had problems with those tires on their tailgates and that was why someone built a spacer. oh well.

Towed the Caddy home, didn't feel underpowered even going uphill on highway. Jeep still launches pretty good on dry pavement.

I like narrow tires on packed snow, I seem to get better bite that way. Wider would certainly better in loose snow, but I don't wheel in the winter, I only like to hit the hills with a snow mobile in the winter.

In most of the mud in my area, narrow tires do well since there is a bottom to the goo, there are the occasional super deep gooey stuff that wider would be better for, but I tend not to go into those areas by myself.

These tires are 2+2 on the sidewall plys, and 2 on the tread plys, not really all that super duty, They should hold up well in the rocks we have around here (yes I know a wide plyable tire with lower psi is better on most rock), but our trails around here aren't really extreme, and have a huge variety of conditions in each trail. So a fair to good tire in all, is better than a great tire for one condition.

boebr1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Using my GPS I determined that my odometer is now about 1mph lower reading than my actual speed now, instead of 4mph higher than actual that I got with my stock tires. But of course now the odometer is off by around 7%. I figured out how to adjust mathematically to be able to figure out what the fuel economy really is. I'm on my Droid phone now, but in a few days I'll be home and I'll post the formula and an example or two if this formula isn't already here somewhere.

rockymountain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Using my GPS I determined that my odometer is now about 1mph lower reading than my actual speed now, instead of 4mph higher than actual that I got with my stock tires. But of course now the odometer is off by around 7%. I figured out how to adjust mathematically to be able to figure out what the fuel economy really is. I'm on my Droid phone now, but in a few days I'll be home and I'll post the formula and an example or two if this formula isn't already here somewhere.

that would be very helpful for us math illiterate people. hint hint. :freak3:

I'm getting tired of seeing ~190 miles per tank and 16-17 mpg on the highway. I know I'm getting more, I just need to adjust with your upcoming formula.:icon_twisted:

got a pic from the back or front to see the stance?

yellocoyote

Administrator
Reaction score
We figured awhile ago that my speedo was off by about 10% with the old BFG A/T's in 245/75 that I was running. For example, if the speedo on my jeep said 40 mph, I was actually doing 44... 70 = 77, etc.

So I take that into account when I calculate my fuel economy. I now multiply however many miles are on my trip meter by 10% each time I fill up for a more 'true' estimate of MPG's.

I specifically keep the speed variance in mind when highway/interstate driving, as the Chicagoland po-po can be a little rough if you're speeding. :p

rockymountain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We figured awhile ago that my speedo was off by about 10% with the old BFG A/T's in 245/75 that I was running. For example, if the speedo on my jeep said 40 mph, I was actually doing 44... 70 = 77, etc.

So I take that into account when I calculate my fuel economy. I now multiply however many miles are on my trip meter by 10% each time I fill up for a more 'true' estimate of MPG's.

I specifically keep the speed variance in mind when highway/interstate driving, as the Chicagoland po-po can be a little rough if you're speeding. :p

I could be wrong but won't you always be the same amount over at any given speed? If you're going faster it doesn't mean your tires are revolving more times per given distance right? I don't think a percentage is the way to figure it. So if you're 4 over at 40 you're still going to be 4 over at 70.
:shrug:

yellocoyote

Administrator
Reaction score
For the week or so that I had Aaron's scanguage in the jeep, the 10% theory held true. The scan guage read about 10% more than what my speedo read... give or take 1% or so. That's why I use that number now.

Based on the summer months, I was between 17-21 mpgs... and it's still a crapshoot in the wintertime. Even with the variance, I'm getting 14.5-18 mpgs now. :disgust:

Atrus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I could be wrong but won't you always be the same amount over at any given speed? If you're going faster it doesn't mean your tires are revolving more times per given distance right? I don't think a percentage is the way to figure it. So if you're 4 over at 40 you're still going to be 4 over at 70.
:shrug:

No, it's definitely a percentage, not a flat amount.

yellocoyote

Administrator
Reaction score
No worries. :)

Makes me wonder what the percentage is for a tire like a 235/85... certainly more as the tires are taller.

rockymountain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
:favorites68: it! I just made an appointment for Monday to get the computer reprogrammed! :smokin:

is there anything I can tell those yahoos if they give me any flac about this. My revs/mile at 45 number is 677. is that what they need?

sorry for jacking, should start a new thread.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
The person :party36:who did my gears is going to someday take his "tool" home so we can play with mine after the gear swap etc.
I'm 7 miles per hour off so when the speedo says 65 I'm really at 71 by the GPS. That,s also where I'm getting the best mileage at as well though.