235/70R16 section width big enough to protect rims?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Yeah I was surprised by the narrow tread width.

Couple that with the rim protector bead design on the Grabber AT2 and it makes you double take.

I like the tires though, and I'm OK with the skinny look. I just think 245/70 or 255/65 would have also cleared and not show the loading when I'm loaded like these do. If I had a do-over I would have went wider.

A lot goes back to how much sag you have. I have seen worn out 235-70-16s rubbing due to springs being worn out at 78,000 miles
So while possibly on yours you may be able to actually have ran 245-70-16s, telling the next guy who asks that he can, may not be correct.

jja

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This needs to be stickied somewhere. Very good to know.

Compound has a lot to do with the traction of the tire. Tread can look good but its the way it behaves that counts. If they tested the tires and they dont stop as quickly in the wet then thats all there is to it.

Grabbers work just fine for lots of people but this is good information to know either way.

Yeah that's a good indicator. It could easily be found on all the UK tire selling sites for example since any EU trader is obliged to display that by law. What should also be mentioned though is that the tire manufacturers do the testing themselves as opposed to some independent agency doing it. They get a hefty fine if they cheat but cheating investigations are relatively slow and get started only if somebody complains. So some small/cheap manufacturers bite the bullet and give fake A grades to their tires. The reputable manufacturers labels though seem to correspond to reality. Hence the chances are the comparison between General Grabbers and AT KO2s holds.

patandted

Reaction score
my 2007 Jeep KJ 2.8 CRD has the 17" wheels there is another problem it has automatic pressure built in so each wheel has a censer in it the problem is all of my tyres are in very good condition so I do not want to remove them to get at the censers and put them on to the new second hand 16" wheels.

how can I get around this can the auto pressure be turned off what would happen if I just put new wheels on with no censers in them would that work.

Myke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
my 2007 Jeep KJ 2.8 CRD has the 17" wheels there is another problem it has automatic pressure built in so each wheel has a censer in it the problem is all of my tyres are in very good condition so I do not want to remove them to get at the censers and put them on to the new second hand 16" wheels.

how can I get around this can the auto pressure be turned off what would happen if I just put new wheels on with no censers in them would that work.

You can take the tires off to remove the TPM sensor. Just because they are in good shape doesn't mean you can't have them removed and put back on the wheel.

If you run the new wheels without the TPMS you might get a warning on your EVIC but it won't affect anything. Though I'm not sure if it will even bother showing you the warning.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
I just ordered a set of General Grabber AT2 tires for mine.

These have the older style BFG tread, but it actually looks like it's an improved version, and they do happen to have the snowflake symbol. Plus they have a 60,000 mile treadwear warranty as an additional bonus. They also should not be as stiff or heavy as the BFG. I don't really see where the stiffness is called for. This is not a full size pickup so I don't need the load rating, and I won't be airing down for rec play either, not to mention I've never put a hole in a sidewall while offroading. So...

I ordered them in 235/70R16.

Reasons are, I already run this size, and while I don't go mudding or crawling with my ride, I do get off road in some rough places in the course of my work, and I am also often hauling a small load inside with the seats down. Nobody really responded about 245/70R16 rub issues with these tires. So I didn't want to risk it over the small amount of width and height gained.

I will let you know how I like them soon.

I responded with the best answer given the circumstances.
Springs are weak on these so before anyone could give you an honest answer about the 245-70-16s we needed to know the height!
I've had them pull into my place with 235-70-16s rubbing due to worn out springs. So yes you question was answered on the 245-70-16s the best we could. Who knows you may of been able to run them. :gr_grin:

Duster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, I wanted to update here after putting a ton of time on these tires... and before they come off and I forget.

All in all, I got the best wear out of these that I have ever gotten out of anything on the liberty. Everything else I have had wore down perfectly smooth, but just did not last. Goodyear, Hankook, etc... These lasted. In fact they still have a lot of life left. I have just been unfortunate and also stupid.

Stupid because I replaced the suspension with stock height stuff and took someone's word on the alignment. That didn't turn out well. It must have been aligned once with sagged front springs cause the outsides of the front tires started to wear. That I could have prevented. But it didn't turn out to matter much because I also had bad luck. I hit a sharp piece of steel that fell off a log truck. Tried to dodge it and succeeded with the front but ran over it with the rear and didn't even know.

So in the end, they ended their life not by wear, but because one suffered damage that can't be repaired. Tire guy said nothing would have survived. So I have no complaints with these tires. Never any issues. No other flats either, and for me that is rare. Most of the time all 4 have a plug by 20k. So I would buy the General Grabber AT2 or the new ATX again in a heartbeat.... if my timing were different and it were easier.

I am not sure if they are phasing out the AT2 for the ATX that they just started producing or what. But I can't get my size in the AT2 without using another source. Walmart is the only place I found that claims to have the AT2 and nobody can find the ATX in a size I could use. They list it, but my guess is they are not building them yet. Whole PITA situation. So that is why I wonder if this is what is really happening or not.

I bought a used tire to give me some time to think. Right now I am thinking I am going to end up getting leftover BFG TAKO. I can get them at a good price and I don't have to wander away from where I have done all my tire business for years. Think I will go with them in 245/70R16 and get a fresh alignment and call it done instead of riding around on an oddball tire to see what happens or going through Walmart.com and seeing if they actually have them.

But if things were different I'd go back with Grabbers without a second thought. Tough long wearing tire, great in winter weather, never an issue in rain, no slippery stops or hydroplaning. Never an issue with traction in mud or anything else, and sometimes in my line of work I would be stuck without AT's at least and 4x4 like 4 or 5 times a day. My 235/70R16 were a snowflake marked size.

Last edited:

jeepsterkj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys...I'm new here, but I have built up some experience with wheels and tyres for the KJ...My low milage (51K) 2005 2.8 CRD came with stock steel rims fitted with with 235/70R16's on the front, and oddly, 255/70R16's on the back! They fitted without rubbing but of course running different sizes front and rear can mean damage to your gearbox when in 4x4 mode, so I told the used car dealer I got it from and he sent me two brand new Three-A Ecolander 106T A/T tyres (he initially wanted to give me part worn tyres but he couldn't find them in 235/70R16!). They look the part, and have an amazing 480 treadwear rating so would last a very long time...But they only have a F rating for both economy and wet grip, so I wanted something better...Ended up buying 4x Alfamotors DK365 235/70R16 106H SUV road tyres (my KJ won't be going off road anytime soon), which have an almost as good 440 treadwear rating and yet have a much better B rating for both economy and wet grip. The set of four cost £118 on ebay and I got them fast with free next day delivery! I didn't like the stock steel rims though so I wanted to by some nice alloys to put them on. Now, if you have been looking for 16" Jeep alloys on ebay you will have come across some lovely five spoke alloys with slim spokes which ebay sellers mistakingly refer to as Orvis alloys...They are not Orvis alloys though...They are 1998 Grand Cherokee Limited Edition Ultrastar alloys! Orvis alloys are completely different, being designed for the Grand Cherokee Orvis Edition.
Here is a Grand Cherokee 5.9 Limited edition with it's Ultrastar alloys:
You must be registered for see images attach

and here is an Grand Cherokee Orvis edition with its Orvis Alloys:

As you can see, completely different.
I found a tidy set of five 7J16 ET25.4 Ultrastars with a 114.3x5 PCD going for £169.99 +39.99 postage on ebay. They were not that far away though so I knew I could save on the postage price by collecting them. I also made the seller (a part worn tyre fitting company) an offer of £150, which they accepted, and I took the DK365's down there so he could fit and balance them for me. I weighed one of the Ultrastars with a digital luggage scale I took with me. It weighed 9.76kg...At least a KG or more lighter than the stock steels rims. Before I left home I had weighed one of the DK365's...It weighed 14.3kg, so I knew the tyre and rim together would weigh 24kg...More than 6kg lighter than the each of the 255's and steel rims on the back! When I got there I first had to make sure the Ultrastars would fit my KJ (they were from a Grand Cherokee after all). I asked him if he could check the official wheel offset tables for my KJ online, and he told me that according to the official tables I would need to use 25mm spacers with these wheels. Damn! Not to be put off, I immediately started looking for wheel spacers online...a set of four 25mm spacers was £72 on ebay. Not bad but I had no more money and of course it would have meant I would have to drive home on my steel rims again whilst I wait for the spacers to arrive, and then I would have had to pay out again to get the new tyres fitted somewhere. Then I thought, why not simply try one of wheels on to see if it fits...To everyone's amazement, it did, perfectly! To say I was relieved would be an understatement. I could not understand how was this even possible, but anyway they did, so all four tyres were fitted to the rims and balanced in no time. Driving home was a revelation...The ride was firm, as before, but much smoother and there was no steering wheel wobble at all...Handling was greatly improved...I used to fear taking a sweeping exit ramp off the motorway at over 40, but now I have complete confidence in taking the same exit ramp at 50, and where it felt like a real handful cruising at 60, it now felt smooth and composed at 80! It was quieter too. It was like driving a lightweight hatchback, rather than a 2 tonne plus yank tank! So if you are looking for alloys for for your KJ, vintage Grand Cherokee rims are what you should look for...Far better looking than the ugly six spoke alloys most KJ's seem to have, and much nicer than the five spoke alloys with wider, flat spokes too. (IMHO):
20180602_193131 by Alf Beharie, on Flickr

Last edited:

Duster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nice find! They look great. Thanks for sharing.