2015 Jeep Renegade.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Luke

Interloper
Reaction score
I can appreciate the above... and the vast majority of the car buying public is likely immune to the love affair that the minority have with their vehicles.

I'm sure the car companies have anticipated any outcry and it is just the cost of doing business. Obviously cheaper and faster than creating new brand recognition out of thin air.

I happen to be in the minority though, so in my book if your going to reuse a name steeped in nostalgia it should pay homage to the original in some significant way.

eg 5th gen Camaro... WIN :)
4th gen GTO... not so much :(

In a perfect world I guess...

GranpaQB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Translation

All companies are re-issuing old names, for the simple fact that trademarking a new name is difficult after 90+ years of world wide auto manufacturing.
A new name must
1. Not offensive to anyone.
2. Could not be construed in any way to be offensive to anyone.
3. Doesn't rhyme with anything that is (or could be) construed as offensive.
4. Isn't already trademarked or owned by any other company.
5. Isn't too close to something already out there.
6. Is marketable and easy to remember.
7. Any of the other 100 reasons that I cannot think of while eating supper.

As you can see the list gets pretty short in a hurry.

Personally, I think the name "Jeepster" would fit pretty well...but that would just piss off another section of Jeepers:lazer:

Biggest thing is translation. Not all names mean the same in a different language and companies have made major mistakes:
Chevy Nova means doesn't go in Spanish
Mitsubishi Pajero is slang for masturbator in Spain.
Toyota Fiera in Puerto Rico means ugly old woman.
In German Rolls-Royce Silver Mist means silver animal droppings.
Ford Pinto in Brazilian Portuguese slang means small penis.

There are hundreds of these examples that is why companies like BMW and Volvo only have numbers. Point is companies reuse names they know they don't get into trouble with (besides branding etc.).

Latest posts

Members online