2007 Rear Window Regulator replacement - hole style

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JBDive

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've done a number of window regulators but trying to do my son's 2007 and first off the replacement part from Dorman is wrong, the 07 has a hole in the window with a *** that sticks through it from the regulator slide.

How the heck do you disengage that plastic **** from the window? (really, it edited out kn0b)

Gyro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It a flexible plastic part.
Stick a thin pry tool in behind and pry lightly till the **** clears the hole and lift the glass up.

Gyro

JBDive

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Stick a thin pry tool in behind and pry lightly till the **** clears the hole and lift the glass up.

Gyro
Will give that a try on Tuesday after new part comes in. Dorman part picked up at local auto store, specifically for 2007, is the 2002-2006 version. Thanks.

JBDive

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Gyro

OK, got the old one out but I cannot get the new one to pop the retaining **** thru the glass hole. It seems as if the glass is a few millimeters off the base but even then the **** has a downward lip on it so the glass would have to go lower in order to angle the **** or I have got to pry the **** backwards so it is angled. Either seems impossible. There has got to be a tech trick that just pops it in.

Dave_too

Reaction score
steiger performance is another way to go. I replaced all four regulators with Steiger's stuff after they'd already all been replaced once before with Mopar parts. 45 minutes a window for me. Your mileage may vary (and likely be better). That was ten years ago and no troubles since then. I used a wedge shaped door stop to keep the window(s) up while I was waiting on parts.

JohnDC

Reaction score
steiger performance is another way to go. I replaced all four regulators with Steiger's stuff after they'd already all been replaced once before with Mopar parts. 45 minutes a window for me. Your mileage may vary (and likely be better). That was ten years ago and no troubles since then. I used a wedge shaped door stop to keep the window(s) up while I was waiting on parts.
Same here on the wedge. I also used Steiger's kit for the first window I did. After that I found an identical kit on Amazon for much less money. But like you said, it has been 10 years since I did the first one and it is going strong.

JBDive

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If this is the usual Liberty window issue, it will happen again. The stock design is horrible. There is an upgrade kit available, for all 4 windows. Here is fleabay link, but I think Amazon has them also:
I've done 4 regulators so far, the worm gear design they used is **** but each of the failures I have seen are in the regulator motor gearing, never the regulator clip that these 3rd party fixes, fix.

JBDive

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So finally got everything back together. Here is a review for anyone that finds this thread in the future.

1. The hole and **** style is only used in post March 2006 and 2007 models. Jeep has a service bulletin on this design where if they break, Jeep would replace the regulator and window with the older 2002-2006 style.

2. As to getting the unit out. My solution was to safely use a large flat head to the underside of the plastic **** and force it up and back.
3. As to getting the glass reattached it will work better if you do not fully attach the control arm, leave it loose so you can manipulate it up and down in the slots then drop the window to nearly all the way down. You can then get the hold to line up and eventually pop the plastic **** into the hold.
4. Put everything back together as before, lecture everyone to not slam the doors and don't overly use the rear windows.

Latest posts

Members online