2007 Liberty & New Boat

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mak1965

Reaction score
Hey all. I have a new 2007 Liberty Sport, I just had the Class 3 5000lb tow bar installed and will be getting a new boat, total weight is about 3000 lbs. Am I good to go? Most towing will be on flat surface no hills here! And distance should be no more than an hour at most!
Please help me out what I may or may not need for my new Jeep. The boat is a small Starcraft FD161 with a Mercury 90 2 stroke in case you want to look that up. I heard people towing larger boats up hills with a Chevette?? All I want to do is go local and be safe. and enjoy my Liberty! Thanks a million I am a newbie in the Jeep Life for sure, but Love it mucho! Thanks again! Mark

[email protected]

http://www.myspace.com/markkunie

2003KJ

Reaction score
No problems, got it moved for ya ;)

As far as the boat goes, the KJ with the 3.7L/Automatic ****** combo is rated to to 5000 pounds, so you should be fine weight wise. If you don't have any trailer brakes on the trailer, I would take it real easy on the stopping (allow plenty of room, dont ride the brakes...etc etc).

mak1965

Reaction score
Cool, I am careful, and the ramp to launch the boat is very close, Like I said no hills and such, But as in engine ****** etc I am good to go? What about a ****** cooler, That item looks pretty cost effective, and If I can install myself, then should I , cost is a problem these days! But if you recommend that and can get me a link to an install procedure then,,, just want to keep my libby happy! Thanks! MK

2003KJ

Reaction score
Cool, I am careful, and the ramp to launch the boat is very close, Like I said no hills and such, But as in engine ****** etc I am good to go? What about a ****** cooler, That item looks pretty cost effective, and If I can install myself, then should I , cost is a problem these days! But if you recommend that and can get me a link to an install procedure then,,, just want to keep my libby happy! Thanks! MK

If you plan on hauling the boat frequently, then I would probably look into a ****** cooler....just for peace of mind. If it's just gonna be a once every few weeks deal, then I wouldn't be to concerned about it. But if you want to get one anyways, by all means go for it....whats it gonna hurt?

Epic-yoda

Reaction score
I tow my 21 ft boat @ about 3,000 lbs at least 4 times a week no problem with my 02 liberty. Just take it easy on takeoff and braking thats all. Trailer brakes help alot, most newer boats come with surge brakes now.

Epic-yoda

Reaction score
My manual says if you are going to trailer you should put synthetic diff fluid in. I haven't yet after a full season of towing my boat but plan on it, cant hurt.

06Liberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
why would they do that? They know you're gonna tow something at some point but they don't put the correct fluid in at the factory? Somebody was having a bad day when that decision was made!! :D

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
why would they do that? They know you're gonna tow something at some point but they don't put the correct fluid in at the factory? Somebody was having a bad day when that decision was made!! :D
To be able to tow the rated 5000lbs you need the tow group with the HD cooling,which includes the synthetic fliulds.The HD cooling includes the extra coolers and extra clutch fan.Highly recommend the HD cooling for the KJ's with the 42RLE ******(may '03+ KJ's),it's really pushing it pulling 3000lbs with that ****** without the extra coolers,the older KJ's with the 45RFE are fine by just adding a AUX ****** cooler.

It's not the factories having a bad day by not putting in the synthetic fluids since most KJ's will never tow anything.

06Liberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow, that kinda *****. tjkj2002 is exactly right....I just read my owner's manual, and as I'm sure other people thought too, not all KJ's are able to tow 5000lbs. If you don't have the extra cooler, 2000lbs is all you can tow...according to the manual. I don't plan on towing much (if anything), but it ***** cuz I was under the impression that if you have a Liberty then you can tow up to 5000lbs....not the case.:(

According to my manual:
3.7 6-speed manual(4x2 or 4x4)---3,500lbs
3.7 auto(4x2 or 4x4)---2,000lbs
3.7 auto WITH Cooler(4x2 or 4x4)---5,000lbs
2.8 Diesel auto---5,000lbs

(Max/Gross Trailer Weight)

Last edited:

Prest989

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I use my KJ to tow my 19 foot bowrider almost weekly. No problems at all. Mine has the Tow Package from the factory however. Stopping seems to be the biggest issue, as my trailer has no brakes.

Epic-yoda

Reaction score
Mine has a ****** cooler and a hitch but not an extra fan just the belt drivin fan whats up with that?

CRD4Liberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
****** coolers are easy, near fool proof. Instructions are in the box. Basiacally the outlet from the original cooler is plumbed into the inlet of the new aux cooler and that cooler's outlet is hooked to the line back to the ******. Simple. Now you'll probably ask which is the original cooler's outlet? It's the coolest running fitting of the two.

mak1965

Reaction score
I just looked at the Liberty, Under the hood. Check this out I see the radiator Anyone will know what that is! Then in front of the main radiator towards the driver side I see a small radiator looking thing, going to the power steering, That would be my Power Steering cooler,, and in front of the radiator is another small radiator,, maybe a foot by a foot or so, two tubes coming out the bottom going toward ( would need a lift to properly see it all) the ******? So I would have to assume i already have what it takes to get a little over 3000 lbs towed?
Every place I researched on the net shows that is where the ****** cooler would be best positioned. so I should be good to go?? seems like they did 1/2 of a tow package dealio,,, not installing the hitch? I also checked the large electric box and there is a fuse in the tow/hitch place. I am confused! thanks Mark

mak1965

Reaction score
So what about my above post? I should be good to go right??
Thanks and Very sorry to bother anyone here, just being careful!

Latest posts

Members online