2007 Jeep Liberty

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

featherlight

Full Access Member
Reaction score
:throw: I knew there had to be an easier way than what I did. Hahaha. Oh well, it works...

The camera came with the RCA cable and power cable, all for $10 :gr_grin: I was apprehensive at first because it was so cheap, but it has good reviews and I figure it's cheap enough that if it does die, I won't cry about replacing it.

featherlight

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I really appreciate any help you can offer with the 3d print. I'm not too worried about the material at this point. Just want to make sure I get the model right. I've been working on refining the model some in my down time, but it's not quite ready yet. I've got the dimensions correct now, just working on smoothing the front of the model a bit now.
The dimensions for one indicator lamp are roughly 250 mm x 80 mm x 75 mm.

It looks like I can export it as a *.dae , *.3ds , *.dwg, and *.obj
Would any of those work?

Edit 9/10/2015:
I've got some updated renders. Decided to try my hand at Autodesk 123D. It ***** to have to be restricted to "free" software and find out how limiting it is. Still haven't figured out how to carve out the channel for the LED rope section, but the base model is starting to look better. This is already an *.obj file now. I included an image of what the actual indicator unit looks like.

Attachments

• Smooth Front Side.jpg
    Smooth Front Side.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 9
  • Smooth Front Angle.jpg
    Smooth Front Angle.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 11
  • Smooth Top Side.jpg
    Smooth Top Side.jpg
    80 KB · Views: 11
  • Smooth Back Side.jpg
    Smooth Back Side.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 11
  • 41Dv3StjJRL._SY355_.jpg
    41Dv3StjJRL._SY355_.jpg
    15.4 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
:throw: I knew there had to be an easier way than what I did. Hahaha. Oh well, it works...

The camera came with the RCA cable and power cable, all for $10 :gr_grin: I was apprehensive at first because it was so cheap, but it has good reviews and I figure it's cheap enough that if it does die, I won't cry about replacing it.

Well, I ordered the camera and got it installed. A rear view camera finally! :waytogo:

Wired it up a little differently. Tapped into the backup lamp and ran that to the violet/white wire on the Pioneer head unit, but ran power from the camera to the Hot lead and Ground lead at the head unit. That way I can view the camera any time - like to view the trailer hitch or see the impressive offroad hill my KJ just climbed :mexsmoke:

Glad to have it installed!

Bob

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
...Tapped into the backup lamp and ran that to the violet/white wire on the Pioneer head unit, but ran power from the camera to the Hot lead and Ground lead at the head unit...
That's the way mine is wired right now. I do have two issues with it: One being that the light on the camera itself flashes on and off at random times when the camera is not in use (it stays on when I tap the "Camera" button), the other being that the camera seems to blink at times when it is turned on. I don't know if I have a bad connection somewhere or maybe just a dud camera. :shrug:

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's the way mine is wired right now. I do have two issues with it: One being that the light on the camera itself flashes on and off at random times when the camera is not in use (it stays on when I tap the "Camera" button), the other being that the camera seems to blink at times when it is turned on. I don't know if I have a bad connection somewhere or maybe just a dud camera. :shrug:

I had issues when I first put the head unit back in the dash. The camera would flash as you described and then during a drive this afternoon it wouldn't turn on when I shifted to Reverse. Ended up being the connection - the butt connector pulled away from the violet/white wire. It's like a 22 or 24 gauge wire while the wire I used from the backup lamp is 18 gauge. Once I got them connected properly all's well with the backup camera.

Maybe double-check your connections...?

Bob

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
...Maybe double-check your connections...?
I think that's good advice. About two weeks after the head unit (JVC) was installed I lost my right front speakers, which turned out to be a loose connection. There are something like twenty different wires coming out of there and they're all the diameter of a human hair... :emotions34:

featherlight

Full Access Member
Reaction score
:party52: Glad to hear you got the camera and its working like you wanted.

I thought of wiring it up that way, but I don't think I'd ever use the camera unless I'm reversing. I actually still have to get used to actually having the camera for that in the first place. Lol. But who knows, maybe if I do start towing a trailer some day I might rewire it. I can see how it could be useful to be able to check on that without having to stop.

uss2defiant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think either of those extension would work with solidworks.
Please double check. Also please PM me about the 3D printing. Sometimes I miss this thread when I read through today's posts.

Autocad is free for students, FYI.

featherlight

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've purchased a wifi OBDII unit and Dash Command over the holidays... and it's pretty awesome. :party52:

Getting it working on the Appradio screen is a bit of a pain though and requires the connection of the hdmi, lightning to hdmi converter, and running Pioneers awful app management system (which crashes all the time). It's much simpler to just let the DashCommand app run on the phone and check the readouts after your done driving. Lots of interesting data; not bad for $30 total ($10 for DashCommand and $20 for the wifi OBDII with on/off switch).

Been tracking several things while driving around; engine parameters, timing, fuel flow, and most importantly mpg. So far it's showing a 16.8 mpg average in town and 21.6 mpg average highway.

featherlight

Full Access Member
Reaction score
does dashcommand output ****** temp?

No, the standard app doesn't include the trans temp. Palmer Performance has stated that the Chrysler/Jeep transmission parameters are not reported in the generic code, so cannot be read by the app. It looks like they would have to add this in a brand specific package, but have not done so yet. From the DashCommand forum, administrator John@PPE:

"I was a little bit off in my explanation. DashCommand will not talk to the transmission module by default, because it is not the generic OBD-II spec. We do have some enhanced packages for different manufacturers, which understand how to talk to different modules, but these are all manufacturer-specific and unfortunately we do not have one for Chrysler. We have been adding new manufacturer packages, but I cannot say whether we will add one for Chrysler."

As of right now, the manufacturer packages that are available include Ford, GM, Mazda, Subaru, Toyota (includes Scion).

Here you can find a list of generic parameters that are supported for Jeep:
Supported Vehicles - Palmer Performance Engineering, Inc.

I have heard that Torque does give the trans temp; but that it is estimated based on the coolant temp, not an actual reading of the transmission sensor. Not sure if this is true or not.

featherlight

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That is awesome! Transmission Monitor looks very nice.
I agree that transmission temp would be a very useful dataset to have displayed. More data the better. Haha. Hopefully you can get that working for our cars, and Palmer decides to build a package for Chrysler down the road.

uss2defiant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
looks like you have a 2007 so you have the 42RLE ****** which that program would work for your liberty.
wont work on mine :(