2006 new owner questions?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Biff

Reaction score
Hello and what an awesome Forum!

We just purchased a 2006 Silver Metallic 4x2, 6-speed Renegade, 150k miles. It’s in great shape and cleaned up incredibly well. I replaced the plugs, all fluids, filters and oil pan gasket, brakes looked and feel fine, starts and runs great!

My concerns are the suspension and what if anything is needed? I’ve got 32.5” from ground to fender on all wheels (16” tires) and 19” from center of cap to fender on all wheels expect passenger rear 18.5….

Thanks All and sorry for the long post.

klc

“It flies like a truck.”
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Stock height is 19” from center of hub to underside of the flare. My 06 was sitting at 18” when I bought it last year.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
By 60000 miles all KJs are starting to sag down
Ive had them in my shop to get a lift and sitting below 17.5 inches with 78000 miles on
Dont go cheap, do it right on suspension, stock springs in front only rated at 310 lbs , should of been 340/350 from the factory

Biff

Reaction score
Thanks KLC & Tom!…. Wanting to keep it as stock as possible but surely wanting to address the spring differences what would you suggest regarding springs and shocks..assuming the wheel thats 18.5 is the spring getting weak! Thanks again Tom!

Biff

Reaction score
One other thing…. If they’re at 19 now should I do these changes now?… bought this simply as a beach jeep and won’t put more than 2k miles per year on it…. Getting the lower control arms replaced under warranty and also need the rear pinion seal replaced and also the oil pan gasket….

duderz7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Lightest spring from OME will give minimal lift, but still be 100 times better than stock is what has been said here many times. Surprised your sitting at the height you are unless springs have been replaced very recently.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
All OME springs are the same price so that is not an issue
The 926s will give about 1.25 to 1.5 over new stock height
the 927s will give you 2.5 inches
927 front and 948 rear will sit level front to back
Bilstein or OME shocks work great can give numbers when you decide

sleazy rider

Retired moto tech and gearhead
Reaction score
Imma going against the do EMU stuff here. Your suspension is nearly stock height all the way around. Does it ride ok? If so and you’re doing minimal driving with it, I’d use the thing and do suspension when I had issues.

Rasfetch

Reaction score
I'd wait till your springs sag more before replacing your suspension especially since you're not driving it much unless you have some extra cash laying around.

Reactions: JRB

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
My take ,
stock suspension is total junk even when brand new
My first 100 miles in my 04 when I bought it new was the suspension was too soft and rode like total crap
Ive owned 30 year old cars that rode and handled way better
Stock front springs being only rated ay 310 lb is way too low, needed to be 345/350
My 04 before I owned it 5 months had the OME 927/948 combo and it rode and handled like it should of when I bought it
But then Ive been doing suspension and brake work since the very early 1970s and do not like a pillow soft ride and the severe lean when going through turns
So anything I buy first thing get all maintenance done and upgrade the suspension
Now again some say if close to stock height stay stock
Nope, springs and shocks are still worn, and will bounce more, and drag more over any and all terrain
But your choice Im OCD when it comes to ride and handling both ON ROAD AND OFF ROAD

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Imma going against the do EMU stuff here. Your suspension is nearly stock height all the way around. Does it ride ok? If so and you’re doing minimal driving with it, I’d use the thing and do suspension when I had issues.
No way with 150,000 miles it rides OK , or not in my world

jeepop

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Biff, Beach Jeep -- love it. Catch a wave for us Biff.

Hey, it is probably not the oil pan gasket leaking, its more likely the front main seal.

Biff

Reaction score
Thanks everyone!…. It certainly doesn’t ride well by any means, also has new tires?…. I’m assuming you don’t simply replace shocks you replace shocks and springs?…
My goal is to bring this vehicle back to life as cheaply but correctly as I can. Obviously replacing springs, shocks and install charges aren’t going to be cheap, I simply want the best value for my driving conditions and certainly want the vehicle height the same on all four corners.
Besides this being what I hope to be a great vehicle for our needs part of our desire to bring this back to life is due to finding out that the original owner was a local Police Officer who was killed in the line of duty, hence our desire to do our best to bring this back…. God Bless!!
Truly appreciate all the advice and will be sure to post some pics!!
Can I add a small amount of mopar 75w-140 w/o the additive till I get to the dealer?…. I was going to replace the rear fluid myself but assuming now that I detected the rear pinion seal leak the fluid change needs to wait till the seal is replaced?

Last edited:
Reactions: JRB

Biff

Reaction score
Biff, Beach Jeep -- love it. Catch a wave for us Biff.

Hey, it is probably not the oil pan gasket leaking, its more likely the front main seal.
I had read this in another thread and did my best to try to find the source. I’m assuming if it’s the front main seal it would be leaking from the underside of the “front” and then spilling back? It doesn’t have any oil up front?…. I’m somewhat of a novice regarding detection but great at following instructions…. Anything I can look at to help me determine if it’s the front seal?….. Thanks again!

turblediesel

memberable
Reaction score
Follow oil leaks as high and forward on the engine as you can and that's usually the source. Gravity and wind will always move it down and back. Clean what you can reach to see fresh leakage. Leaking valve covers and oil pressure sensors like to leak. Spillage from filling can look like a leak.

Biff

Reaction score
Everything in life happens for a reason!!
Just found out that the biggest jeep builder in my area has 2 sons on the Police force and he heard about our jeep. He invited us down to look at it and help with any and all that’s needed….

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Everything in life happens for a reason!!
Just found out that the biggest jeep builder in my area has 2 sons on the Police force and he heard about our jeep. He invited us down to look at it and help with any and all that’s needed….
Oil leak in front, check oil sending unit
also dont let anyone talk you into any spacer lifts, terrible on a KJ
Have 8 or 10 sets of them in the junk pile out back of the shop