2006 Liberty Stereo Options Newbie Questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gezeilstra

Reaction score
Hi, just purchased a 2006 Liberty Limited last week (with 39K KMs, if you can believe that). Unfortunately it did not have the upgraded stereo package, so no steering wheel controls, only single CD, and no aux mode to add an interface to an iPod.
Couple of questions about options - if I can get my hands on an 2006/07 Liberty 6 disk factory stereo, would I just be able to swap that in? Thinking about trying the local wreckers or Ebay.
I noticed the Liberty 08 - 11 stereo's support MP3, can I get one of those to work in my 2006? Seem relatively cheap on Ebay when they come up.
Are the upgraded speakers (kickers) worth it, in the opinion of anyone who has heard both?

Or is my best option maybe to just go aftermarket?

I've looked at the steering wheel control mod as well, too complicated for my skills, sounds hard to even get the wheel off!
Thanks, great forum & site!

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
1) aftermarket
2) crutchfield for info
3) anywhere you feel comfortable buying for purchase since crutchfield doesn't ship to canada

JLRockies

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Your deck does have an aux input. I use the Peripheral PXDX to add the function. If you want to control a iPod specifically, the same company makes the iPod 2 Car. I use my adaptor and a JL Audio CL-SES to automatically switch audio from my SAT, Video, CB, iPod, Nav and CB. You could swap to the changer but who the eff wants to deal with CDs anymore?

neverenuffbass

Reaction score
Hi, just purchased a 2006 Liberty Limited last week (with 39K KMs, if you can believe that). Unfortunately it did not have the upgraded stereo package, so no steering wheel controls, only single CD, and no aux mode to add an interface to an iPod.
Couple of questions about options - if I can get my hands on an 2006/07 Liberty 6 disk factory stereo, would I just be able to swap that in? Thinking about trying the local wreckers or Ebay.
I noticed the Liberty 08 - 11 stereo's support MP3, can I get one of those to work in my 2006? Seem relatively cheap on Ebay when they come up.
Are the upgraded speakers (kickers) worth it, in the opinion of anyone who has heard both?

Or is my best option maybe to just go aftermarket?

I've looked at the steering wheel control mod as well, too complicated for my skills, sounds hard to even get the wheel off!
Thanks, great forum & site!

Aftermarket is the way to go. I highly recommend Kenwood head units. A good head unit and decent set of speakers will make a big difference.

Neb1373

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Aftermarket is the way to go. If you want to add an aftermarket subwoofer, or even just amplify your doors having the outputs makes it all easy. And most aftermarkets have aux/iPod integration.

JLRockies

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Unless there's a specific feature an aftermarket deck offers that you need, there's no advantage to replacing the deck. I have the best audio system ever conceived by mankind for a KJ and the stock deck is still in the dash. My KJ was built and served as a demo vehicle for the Rocky Mountain Territory for JL Audio. Just sayin'.

neverenuffbass

Reaction score
Unless there's a specific feature an aftermarket deck offers that you need, there's no advantage to replacing the deck. I have the best audio system ever conceived by mankind for a KJ and the stock deck is still in the dash. My KJ was built and served as a demo vehicle for the Rocky Mountain Territory for JL Audio. Just sayin'.

I agree with you but sometimes its a lot more cost effective to replace the unit. If you want to keep the factory unit, I would recommend a JBL MS-8 unit. It will improve the performance of your entire stereo without swapping the deck or speakers.

You have any pics of your stereo install?

JLRockies

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How does buying something you does buying something you don't need equal more cost effective? Also, since the out outputs of the radio are flat up to full output, no need for a JBL anything.

peterstone101

Reaction score
the 6 disc changer seems like a waste of money in this day and age, being that everyone owns an mp3 player - i am about to install an RB-1 head unit with the Mopar iPod integration kit...just to try to keep it OEM - but i learned that after shopping for aftermarket units, they are by far a better deal and work with your phone, iPod, have built in navigation...the works,,,,the problem with the liberty is it has a double din radio slot which makes it hard to chose a decent looking head unit....but do it, for $400, $500 you get a much better device.

gdprof27

Reaction score
When I bought my Liberty I went through the same thought process and settled on going aftermarket with the stereo. I needed satellite radio, direct iPod integration and a detachable face.

I decided on the Kenwood Excelon KDC-X794 from Crutchfield. I added the Audiovox XM tuner and Kenwood adapter to the radio and connect my iPhone through the USB connection in the back of the radio.

The entire system works like a charm. If I have a call that comes in, the radio mutes itself and I take the call on my Bluetooth headset. When I finish the call, the radio comes back on. I don't have to take my hands off of the wheel.

Here is what it looks like:

You must be registered for see images

teckman02

Full Access Member
Reaction score
http://wjjeeps.com/audioupgrade.htm

all the info that you need to know if you want to keep the clean look of OEM

the 02-04 WJ has the same audio setup as the KJ the only thing that is different IF you have the Infinity system the WJ has one amp for all of the speakers

You must be registered for see images attach

but the KJ has this strange mini amp system that is on each speaker that i dont know much about.

there is also this unit http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f310/fake-rb1-1191479/