2006 liberty abs / bas traction light

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rigid

Full Access Member
Reaction score
These lights were coming on intermittently and the scanner at oreillys gave the code for RR sensor . Changed it end of August and still got code . I have read several times about a bad wire on the connector . Didn't see anything obvious , but its the kids car and was home from school . replaced it and still have the lights except now on all the time . Scanned same thing again . Cleared code . Lights were out in parking lot . Pulled out of lot and lights back on .
Any ideas ? Wondering if the new sensor was bad ?

GunnerSchenck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd check continuity to the connector on top of the differential with a DVOM. You can also check the voltage getting to the connector, I used paperclips as test leads to put into the connector and put my DVOM leads against them. Id get it all hooked up, then turn the key to ON (engine off) and you should get a reading near 12V. If you don't get anything, or continuity is broken. Then I would go about inspecting the wires.. they lay above the parking brake cable and they sometimes "rub each other the wrong way" :happy175:

If it shows continuity, and good voltage, then I would test the abs sensor.

Although, when my RR abs sensor kicked it, my speedo and odometer went with it. Parking brake light also turned on..

GunnerSchenck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Also, while you have it hooked up to the connector and reading voltage, trying moving the wiring for the connector around, very light tension as well, to check to see if there's a breaking wire that is intermittently getting xontinuity..
But some cases like mine, the wire was hanging a good 2" above the parking brakes and no rubbing at all.

Also, the #1 response you're going to get is to go get the Mopar sensor and install it. Which is the correct route..
But myself, I've had no problems with my duralast rear sensor and I paid half the price of the Mopar sensor.. only because dealer had it on backorder so I just went to AZ and chanced it.. been a little over 2 oil changes, so about 6k probably

Last edited:

rigid

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thank you ... no problems with the speedometer so far . I will try to work though the process you gave when the jeep is back again . Used BWD parts from oreillys

GunnerSchenck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've never used O'Reilly parts, simply because there's not one around here.. but heard alot of mixed reviews.. Probably slightly more good stories than bad ones.. but those bad stories are still there and possible.

If you need any help along the way, feel free to comment on here or shoot me a PM if I don't respond. Others may chime in soon as well, and hopefully someone with a solution.
I reread the OP and realized you said kids car but you're 19...and your kid has a car?? :happy175:
Kidding.. take it your kid is 19 and at college with it until Christmas break if that's the case..
If so, feel free to get ahold of me of it takes awhile and you don't want to revive a dead thread.

Either way, hopefully she (Liberties are obviously a delicate woman that also like to party) keeps going strong for them and they have safe travels!

Ps.. speedometer still working leads me to believe the RR sensor is working as I believe the speedometer runs of this one and not the front wheel speed sensors, but I'm not 100% on that.

When you go through the process previously described, if your RR sensor is getting full voltage and moving the wires, they show no change..and the sensor also tests out good, then I would get it hooked back up to an ABS code reader so you can verify which code is being thrown.
If O'Reillys tested it free then I'd go there, but if you go somewhere and they want to charge you I'd just get your own OBD II/ABS scanner..

rigid

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Gunner ,
kid called about two weeks ago and said the lights are out . jeep is here now and lights are still out . must have taken a while for computer to reset ? anyway thank you for your response and offer to help .