2006 CRD ESP

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

o8k

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i have a 06 CRD w/ ESP. how exactly will this perform different from having a rear lsd (trac-lok)? specificly if im somwheres muddy and want my rear tires spinning together no matter what... all four tires spinning no matter what would be prefered, but this too i understand is not hapnin on the libby.... I searched the forums for info on this and couldnt exactly figure this out.

cheers

Ry' N Jen

Banned
Reaction score
Slightly North of the 49° th. Parallel... In HongC
Good day,

The ESP you are referring to stands for: Electronic Stability Program.
Here is one explanation out of many: http://www.freescale.com/webapp/sps/site/application.jsp?nodeId=02Wcbf123FLbtv

Although this link is for a Dodge Nitro, it ha ESP and the video is Worth a look.
http://www.dodge.com/en/nitro/capability.html?feature=esp
(cool)

It is also known as: Electronic Stability Control.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stability_control

From my limited experiences with this system, it is meant for use while
operating a vehicle on a road way where you are cruising at higher rates
of speed; like on a highway or interstate.
It is therefore my opinion that it would be of no use to you in an off road situation!

(Cheers)
Ry'

Jeger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ESP has several parts to it. The four wheel traction control is what is going to help while offroad. Depending on the level of traction available you can get all 4 spinning, or sort of a limitied slip effect where one tire on an axle will be spinning and the other one will spin faster and slower or sort of spin-stop-spin-stop when the traction control activates. It is very dependent on the situation, but always better than no 4 wheel traction control. I have noticed that especially in really slick conditions snow, ice, slick mud etc, that the traction control does a good job of keeping all 4 spinning. Its in the higher traction situations, or when a wheel is lifted off the ground that you get that spin-stop effect.

Of course a locker will ensure all wheels are spinning all the time.

Oh, and I should mention that in 4 wheel HI you will want to push the esp button so that the light is lit up, this will disable the throttle reduction and allow for more tire spin, Of course this is only if you WANT more tire spin.

o8k

Full Access Member
Reaction score
im impressed! didnt know the ESP would act that way, i asume it would do so on the front differential too?

How do you like your CRD as opposed to the 3.7L? Seems like the low end torque would be great for off road. So far l love my CRD! alltho the automatic ****** was a huge sacrafice for me thing shiftes out of its optimal torque range all the time, seems kinda lame, but functional =(

Jeger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I love my CRD. We test drove the CRD then the gasser, the 3.7 felt extremely anemic around town and at anything other than nearly full throttle. AT full throttle they are pretty close, but you have got to love that low end diesel pull. I think the CRD rides a little better too. Offroad it is just about perfect, you get all the power right where you need it. Then there is the better fuel mileage, easier towing, funny looks you get at the pump, and of course the turbo whistle to top it off.

And yes the ESP works with the front wheels too.

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
The thing I like most are the weird looks and comments at the pump.... but since I almost never go to stations with the diesel pump all the way in the back, ignored by most... I never get many of those. They are plenty fun though.

However very frustrating when the attendant inside shuts the pump off trying to "protect" you. I haven't noticed any ride differences between the 3.7L KJs and 2.8L KJs.

I *like* the quietness of the engine...