2005 transfer case leak

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

markzrt1

Reaction score
My wifes 2005 Liberty is leaking from the transfer case. It appears to be coming from where the linkage goes in. Anyone had this issue? Is it easy to replace? Do you have to drop the TC? Thanks. Its a v6 auto, part time 4x4.

Idaho08KK

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If it is where the linkage goes in, it would be the shift shaft seal. They are easy to replace. you just have to remove the shift lever from the t-case to change it.

Chris9296

Reaction score
I have a 2004 with 84,000km on the clock. Same thing and had it repaired under warranty. It may also have to do with the fluid, I had mine changed just prior and the old fluid was black. Seal could have hardened. But also there is a bushing in there as well, and they told me that needed to be replaced as well. Haven't seen a leak since

J-Thompson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
is it a leak or just a wet spot?
leaks leave wet spots on the drive way
wet spots make the related components ,well, wet

leaks should be addressed
wet spots should only be addressed under warranty

markzrt1

Reaction score
It's for sure leaking. Underside is all wet from going down the freeway and the wind catches it. So for the shift shaft seal you dont have to drop the transfer case?

markzrt1

Reaction score
Ok guys, Whats the best way to get the shift shaft seal out?

Idaho08KK

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I use a small hooked pick. Then use a small socket and hammer to reinstall it.