2005 Jeep Liberty KJ Horn and lights won't stop going off?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hoss

Reaction score
I was woken up in the middle of the night to my alarm going off (horn and lights flashing). Ran out with my key fob unlocking and locking the car the alarm wouldn't turn off. I started the car and it was still going. Disconnected the battery to get it to shut off and noticed my trailer plug connector looked like it had gotten lose and was dragging behind me and had worn down some of the wires and had gotten wet (it had been raining all day/night).

This morning I had to drive to the store to get electrical tape and when I did (less than 5 mins away) I noticed the check engine light was on (it wasn't before) and the low gas tank light was on (had about a half tank). Luckily I had my code reader plugged in with me so I pulled the codes and got P0481 P0480 and P0462. When I got back out from the store (less than 5 mins) and started the car both lights were gone. When I got back home I cut the wires to the trailer hitch plug and taped them off individually with electrical tape. Plugged the battery back in and no alarm so that was good but the running daytime lights would not turn off (waited at least 10 minutes). Could hear a weird clicking noise on the left side of the battery and near the alternator. Found the fuse for the daytime running lights (relay? it's one of the very large ones in the driver side JB) and went to pull it out and it was very hot to the touch. Figured it must've gone bad and needed to be replaced and the lights were off so it was good.

Went to get ready for work and about 15-20 minutes later I am walking down the car and the horn starts going off. It was odd because it wasn't continuously or like 1 second intervals it was seemingly random. I scrambled to disconnect the battery again to not piss my neighbors off anymore and I'm at a loss at what to do next.

I am going to leave the battery unplugged for about an hr to reset the computer again to see if that kicks everything back into action. I replaced the battery and alternator both about 3 months ago brand new. Haven't had any problems with either until today.

Also will taking out the horn fuse to prevent it from going off any more still cause a drain on my battery causing me to wake up with a dead battery?

Help please?

Hoss

Reaction score
When I reconnected the battery it sat fine in my drive for about two hours so I thought things were okay so I drove it in to work and on the drive in the horn started to act up again. Just small beeps at first but then it started to go continuously so I pulled over and took the horn fuse out.

Hoss

Reaction score
I didn't see any indicators of water on the driver side but I do have a small crack in the windshield above that. Might've leaked down after all the rain.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Have a good look under the drivers side up around kick panel, remove cover under steering wheel to see if you can find any wetness. Use a flashlight.
Also with the drivers side fuse panel off, have a good look for any moisture.
Blowing some warm air, using a hairdryer for a while may help dry things out.
Even placing a warm, not super hot, electric ceramic heater under driver area overnight, may be the ticket.
The BCM is attached to & alongside with the side fuse panel.
Would like to know with horn fuse installed, after you dry things out, if any problem still exists.
Also what is your battery voltage after jeeps sits overnight? & battery terminals tight and free from any corrosion?

Last edited:

Hoss

Reaction score
Battery terminals are corrosion free and still lubed up from when I replaced it in September. The batter was at 12.6v today when I got off work. I will check again once it sits overnight.

I also tried to replace the daytime light fuse again and the battery/alternator started the clicking and ringing noise when the car was off so I took it back off.

Didn't see any moisture near the fuse panel but wasn't able to take the bottom of the steering column off in the limited time I had.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Battery terminals lubed up with what product?
I generally will ensure the inside of the wired terminal attachment is clean using emery cloth, and totally dry. Also to ensure they are tight and can't slide around at all.
Same goes for the battery post, no gunk there either.

Last edited:

Hoss

Reaction score
Battery terminals lubed up with what product?
I generally will ensure the inside of the wired terminal attachment is clean using emery cloth, and totally dry. Also to ensure they are tight and can't slide around at all.
Same goes for the battery post, no gunk there either.

I meant the posts on the battery not the connectors themselves. It's some lube that they sold to me at Autozone, my dad said to always use it one new battery installs so I always have. Here's a link: AGS Single-use pouch battery protector BTP-1 - Read Reviews on AGS #BTP-1

I also checked the volts this morning and overnight it went from 12.47v to 12.36v so doesn't seem like a significant draw is going on.

I'm wondering if I should replace the daytime running light fuse, it's a $50 fuse at autozone.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
If the other was getting hot ya replace it, how much is the dealer part?
The battery at 12.36 is about 70% state of charge. Fully charged, then after sitting 12 hours should red 12.65. Sounds like a bit of parasitic drain going on.
If you have a 120v automatic battery charger, might want to plug it in overnight, then..
I would just for peace of mind sake get the battery properly load tested.
If the battery has removable fill caps, use a hydrometer to check each cell as well.
What is the voltage reading when Jeep is running?
Mine was fully charged, and now running reads 14.5 volts from ALT output@ idle.
58325[/ATTACH]"]
You must be registered for see images attach

Attachments

• Odyssey%20returns%20to%20Jeep3.jpg
    Odyssey%20returns%20to%20Jeep3.jpg
    125.8 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

Hoss

Reaction score
Voltage while running was about 14.3. The fuse is abot $50 to replace but I'm hopeful to find it at a junkyard Friday for less.