2005 3.7 lash adjuster adjustment help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Zero

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

I was an idiot when I cleaned my lash adjusters, I pulled all the rockers out and lifters and got them mixed up :facepalm: I know this because I thought I had them correct but I guess not since I went to start it and I lost all compression in one cylinder.

So now I am going to remove them again and check for damage to the valve springs and valves....but then I will need to do a lash adjustment on them, and I can no find out how to do so anywhere..not even in the haynes manual.

Can anyone provide me insight on how to do this?

Obviously the engine is still in the jeep with crankshaft in place.

Ty for any info provided....I am desperate!

:shrug:

tombo_ontario

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Found this in my '02 service manual...

(11) Faulty lash adjuster. ² Check lash adjusters for sponginess while installed in cylinder head and cam on camshaft at base circle. Depress part of rocker arm over adjuster. Normal adjusters should feel very firm. Spongy adjusters can be bottomed out easily. ² Remove suspected lash adjusters, and replace. ² Before installation, make sure adjusters are at least partially full of oil. This can be verified by little or no plunger travel when lash adjuster is depressed.

MarkJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In my old engine rebuilding days we used to pump them up with a standard refillable squeeze oil can. It had a blunt needle point and fit right into the oil hole in the center of the lifter. Couple of stroke and she burped out full.

Attachments

• Oil-Can_MG_8067.jpg
    Oil-Can_MG_8067.jpg
    21.1 KB · Views: 12
  • lifter.jpg
    lifter.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 18

CactusJacked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello all,
I was an idiot when I cleaned my lash adjusters, I pulled all the rockers out and lifters and got them mixed up :facepalm: I know this because I thought I had them correct but I guess not since I went to start it and I lost all compression in one cylinder.
So now I am going to remove them again and check for damage to the valve springs and valves....but then I will need to do a lash adjustment on them, and I can no find out how to do so anywhere..not even in the haynes manual.
Can anyone provide me insight on how to do this?
Obviously the engine is still in the jeep with crankshaft in place.
Ty for any info provided....I am desperate!

You can't find an adjustment procedure because there isn't one, you don't adjust them. The lash adjusters are also referred to as lifters, the procedure is: install the parts and drive. Don't know why switching them would have made a difference, they're all the same length. How did you clean yours, just externally or did you take them apart? Sounds like, for whatever reason (your doing or a coincidence), at least one of the lifters in that cylinder may not be pumping up. This wouldn't cause valve damage though, just a dead cylinder.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.