2004 sluggish between 70 and 80km/h

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

victorian

Reaction score
Hey there,

Just got back from our first road trip in full camping gear (rooftop tent). Couple of things i noticed and are wondering about:

2004 Liberty 3.7 Automatic with tow package

After a climb uphill at highway speed I noticed a electronic part making clicking noises in the fuse box. Almost like the turning signal sound but of course it wasn't that ;-) . I first thought it's maybe the fan kicking in or something like that. But nothing... That's the first car I heart those relais work... Is that normal?

Shifting:
Is it normal that you have to give full throttle to get "over the hump" from 70 to 80km/h? If there would a be a turbo charger I would call it a turbo lag...

Going uphill again: It feels like the gear/ clutch is slightly slipping when I go in a steady pace of about 80km/h. Same happens if I put it in reverse, feels like a slipping clutch.... Any idea?

Cheers and THanks!

Andreas

Cardhu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Turn off your overdrive and repeat. The 3.7 likes a few more revs at that range, such that below 1800 its a bit of a dog. especially at 80 km/h when it starts looking for 4th and the torque converter dances with lockup.

Assume you haven't changed tire size or lifted.

No idea what the clicking noise is other then the electric fan turning on.

Cardhu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
some experience shudder in reverse

some say its due to the oil pickup being at the back of the pan and not pumping enough fluid. past that no idea.

mine never liked 80 km/h in 4th from new, even with stock tires it would lug.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.