2004 Liberty Rear Diff Fluid Problem

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

acenturi

Reaction score
2004 Jeep Liberty Limited Auto Transmission (41K Miles - 1 owner Rarely Driven - maticulously maintained)

I usually had all service for this car done at a Jeep Dealer, but the cost savings was significant for the following, so I took it to an independent Napa Auto Care Center:
Power Steering Service
Brake Fluid Service
Fuel System Service
Rear Diff Service
The car was operating perfectly before I turned it in. When I picked it up there was a thump in the rear and a long hesitation shifting. The maintenance guy said it was likely fluid settling, so I continued to drive it home. The next day, when I turned on the ignition, the idle was high and there was a slight, but noticeable vibration in the rear. I am getting ready to return to the facility, but was wondering if anyone had any ideas. Would these symptoms occur if they had replaced the Read Diff Fluid with something incompatible, or ?

Thanks

Royy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2004 Jeep Liberty Limited Auto Transmission (41K Miles - 1 owner Rarely Driven - maticulously maintained)

I usually had all service for this car done at a Jeep Dealer, but the cost savings was significant for the following, so I took it to an independent Napa Auto Care Center:
Power Steering Service
Brake Fluid Service
Fuel System Service
Rear Diff Service
The car was operating perfectly before I turned it in. When I picked it up there was a thump in the rear and a long hesitation shifting. The maintenance guy said it was likely fluid settling, so I continued to drive it home. The next day, when I turned on the ignition, the idle was high and there was a slight, but noticeable vibration in the rear. I am getting ready to return to the facility, but was wondering if anyone had any ideas. Would these symptoms occur if they had replaced the Read Diff Fluid with something incompatible, or ?

Thanks

Do you have a Trac-lok (limited slip) rear differential? If so, a friction modifier needs to be added to the gear oil.

You can retrieve your build sheet online.
Jeep - Contact Us
On the left, under 'Your Vehicle', click 'Equipment listing'. Enter your VIN, and it'll let you download the build sheet for your Jeep. That'll show you whether you have Trac-lok

J33Pfan

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Power Steering Service
Brake Fluid Service
Fuel System Service
Rear Diff Service

Thanks

no transmission service??

acenturi

Reaction score
Do you have a Trac-lok (limited slip) rear differential? If so, a friction modifier needs to be added to the gear oil.....

Thanks a lot for the reply. Yes I do have Trac-loc. Just a quick further ? Assuming the Friction Modifier (I now see this requirement in the maintenance manual) was not added with the base lubricant, could any damage to the RD have occurred from driving for say 50 miles?

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks a lot for the reply. Yes I do have Trac-loc. Just a quick further ? Assuming the Friction Modifier (I now see this requirement in the maintenance manual) was not added with the base lubricant, could any damage to the RD have occurred from driving for say 50 miles?

Your diff will be ok.

The service guy should have seen the trac-loc in the diff when he had the cover off and known it needed friction modifier. Sometimes when you get cheap prices quoted, it is because you are getting untrained people working on your Jeep and even improper lubricants.

That's why I do everything I can myself. My KJ has never had anyone else touch it except for tires/alignment and state inspection in the 12 years I have had it. If I really needed something I couldn't do myself I would bite the bullet and go to the dealer where the people are trained to work on Jeeps. I guess I am just ****. Stick around the forum and learn about your Jeep. There is a wealth of info here and people that know Jeeps and are willing to help.

Sorry, didn't mean to get carried away.

Dave

Last edited: