2004 liberty radiator replacement

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hodgesjb

Reaction score
So i got the old one out, and I bought a new one of Ebay. Im sitting here looking at it and the new one has 2 open ports on the right side of it.. there is nothing that connects to those on my jeep. Did i get the wrong one or what do i do.. thanks!

Attachments

• 1449435610839-1228557307.jpg
    1449435610839-1228557307.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 32
  • 1449435725610-320251539.jpg
    1449435725610-320251539.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 29

ltd02

Comfortably numb
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not sure if it's a Mopar replacement but the "holes" are for the ****** cooler lines if so equipped. If you have the manual ****** or an external cooler just ignore the holes in the rad. My 02 with the 45rfe ****** has the cooler in the rad. Think the later 42rle do not.

Mopar rad will last longer than any aftermarket.

hodgesjb

Reaction score
Im not very engine savvy so bare with me. So is the external cooler the very small radiator looking thing i have that is on the very outside? If so it has two line running to it, so im assuming thats what would be hooled up to the 2 ports in my new radiator if I didnt have the external cooler? Anyway I'm literally trying to install it right now and the new radiator is in, and the other medium sized radiator is in as well. But the small externsl cooler has no where to connect to the new radiator i got. Shoulf i take those 2 lines connectee to it and hook it up the the new radiator?

hodgesjb

Reaction score
So heres the external cooler. The old radiator had 2 holes and a bigger clip to hold both the external cooler, and the other smaller radiator. Well as you can see there is no holes to mount either on the new radiator, but just a clip on each side that only has room for the small radiator. How do i mount this external cooler, or should i just attach the lines to the new radiator since i already have 2 open ports thst need to be closed

Attachments

• 1449437129692334426124.jpg
    1449437129692334426124.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 29

Chitownjohnny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just plug the holes up they are not necessary for your application. I plugged mine with steel epoxy it is just to keep the dirt out

Chitownjohnny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So heres the external cooler. The old radiator had 2 holes and a bigger clip to hold both the external cooler, and the other smaller radiator. Well as you can see there is no holes to mount either on the new radiator, but just a clip on each side that only has room for the small radiator. How do i mount this external cooler, or should i just attach the lines to the new radiator since i already have 2 open ports thst need to be closed

They should just bolt up to the new radiator just fine dont worr about the holes

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
One of the small cooling units is the external transmission cooler - it will be the one that sits the lowest in front of the radiator. The other unit is the condensor for the air conditioning.

As far as I remember both the condenser and the trans cooler clip on to the front of the radiator - one lower than the other.

Some of the companies that sell on eBay, Amazon etc. sell radiators that are supposed to fit all the different versions of radiators in the Liberty line. Unfortunately a lot of them miss the mark and don't provide correct mounting points for the radiator and the condenser and trans cooler - plus the have the in-radiator trans cooler for the 2002 and very early 2003's. You may have gotten hold of one that won't work for your Liberty because the appropriate mounts aren't there.

Bob

Cpt Marvel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine has an external trans cooler AND on the lower left a power steering pump cooler. Never heard of those. Till I got this

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine has an external trans cooler AND on the lower left a power steering pump cooler. Never heard of those. Till I got this

Yep, with rare exceptions all KJ's came with the external trans cooler and the power steering cooler, both of which help when off roading. The '02's and very early '03's had the 45RFE transmissions and the in-radiator transmission cooler so they don't have an external trans cooler. (But the still had the power steering cooler.)

I doubled-up on the trans cooling - I installed a radiator for an '02 on my '03, plumbed in the in-radiator cooler in series with the standalone external cooler. Then added the mechanical fan and shroud too. As Troy says, the in-rad cooler minimizes the transmission fluid temperature spikes and is supplemented by the external cooler.

You must be registered for see images

You must be registered for see images

Bob