2004 Liberty moaning noise at 45 mph.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SJBODIE

Reaction score
My 2004 Jeep Liberty has a Rusty 2.5" lift. Tires get rotated every 5000 miles followed by an alignment. It has started to make a horrendous moan at 45 but settles down after you hit 50. Any ideas what to check. Turning the wheel does nothing to change the sound. We are baffled. Tires wearing normally.

Madlh24

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It has started to make a horrendous moan at 45 but settles down after you hit 50.

Just make sure to use some lube.....:gr_grin:

But seriously though. Check your differentials for proper lubricant might be low or one of them might be on it's way out.

I bet you if you push it towards 80-90mph the sound will come back at an octave higher

My friend had a Cherokee that starting making a moaning sound at around 40mph and would go away once past that.But then would come back at around 80mph at an octave higher. It's like when you rub the edge of a wine glass. That same kind of sound you can feel all the way to your bones. It was the rear diff, it went out after about 2 years of doing that. They never bothered to get it looked a. even with my incessant nagging to do so.

Last edited:

Members online