2004 Jeep Liberty - RWD Only?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rizzu

Reaction score
I feel pretty dumb asking this but it's a newly acquired vehicle and I can't seem to find anything with clear answer. The search function keeps giving me security questions in polish as well so i figured i'd toss a thread up. Please bear with me!

I purchased a 2004 Jeep Liberty today with fairly low mileage, runs great and all but i cannot for the life of me figure out how to enable the 4x4. I had someone observe from the outside when i accelerate in the snow and the back tires turn as they should, but the front tires simply roll as a standard RWD vehicle would.

My sister has a 2003 model and there is a 4x4 lever just to the left of the shifter, however on mine it's simply a place holder.
(Example: http://img440.imageshack.us/img440/733/0xlu.jpg)

Is there a toggle hidden somewhere that i'm overlooking? Does this engage automatically? Or is it simply a RWD model?

Cherrie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looks like you have just rear drive.
But you can get a complete build sheet from JEEP.com. Then you would know what it came with stock.

Last edited:

4x4kayak2112

Full Access Member
Reaction score
....looks to be a 2wd model from the picture. Some libertys came as a 2wd (and wranglers too....smh)

Crawl under and look between the from a arms, is there a drive shaft going into a differential? Is there a transfer case? But looks just like my wifes 2004 2wd KJ.

Dont fret. You can still lift it, put big tires on it and lock the rear and hang with the 4wd crowd. If a "lowered" 2wd JK can do it....you can!!!

Sent with the power of children's screams!!

Rizzu

Reaction score
The more you know! I never knew Jeep even made RWD specific models until now.

I got under there with a flashlight and you are absolutely right, there is no transfer case as far as I can see. Damn!! It runs fantastic but i'm mostly peeved because i bought it assuming it had 4x4 to make winter more tolerable. Oh well, time to start skimming to see what i can do to make it fun.

I wonder how much it would run me to lock the differential and list it... Time to investigate.

Thank you!!

Cherrie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
At least you didn't buy FWD think that was four wheel drive. Yep guy I worked with did.

Leeann

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Guy on here's selling a transmission and transfer case together. All you'd need would be the cable and handle to complete the conversion, should you wish.

Joejeeper420

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Guy on here's selling a transmission and transfer case together. All you'd need would be the cable and handle to complete the conversion, should you wish.

I've got the trans and transfer case... Both were purchased based upon my lack of patience when I hear a "noise"... And were not needed lol...

Birdman330

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's the one up I give the Liberty its RWD opposed to the competition for the time being FWD until the 4WD was needed.

yewtree

Full Access Member
Reaction score
surely it would be cheeper and easier to sell yours and buy a 4wd, if thats what you want.

phil