2003 Libby with U-Haul Trailer for Move

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ramkum

Reaction score
2003 Jeep Liberty Freedom Edition ~55k mi
3.7L V6, Full-time 4WD
All stock, except Yokohama tires and U-haul hitch

The U-haul hitch installation cost $287, including the class-3 hitch, wiring kit, installation of both, ball-mount/pin and life-time hitch warranty.

Trailer empty weight -1900lbs
Trailer loaded weight (in pic) ~3500lbs

The load inside was split 80% front/20% rear with lots of free space in the rear. U-Haul's recommended split is 60%/40% but we realized too late that we didn't have enough stuff to fill it up completely and had already tied down most of the stuff in the front (probably explains the noticeable downward angle to the front). Could have probably chosen a smaller trailer size for our intended load (this is a 12'x6' which is the largest) but this was the only new-model U-Haul trailer that came with automatic hydraulic brakes, and I wasn't too confident about the brakes on my Libby.

The move was from NJ to MA (~270mi each way). I rented the trailer at MA, pulled it empty to NJ, loaded it up and brought it back (pic is on the way back) to MA. This was the cheapest option ($30 rental + $8 insurance). One-way trailer rentals for the same distance were ~$230 and one-way truck rentals were ~$270 (plus mileage charges beyond 270 mi).

Pulling an empty trailer at highway speeds was a mistake. The Jeep felt like an eager puppy on a leash, with each bump causing the trailer to bounce and tug harshly at the Jeep from behind. I didn't realize that this wasn't normal until I was heading back with the loaded trailer. Very smooth ride this time, except that the Jeep needed considerably more throttle to climb even moderate slopes. Made a mental note to load up 2 or 3 bags of sand/manure from Home Depot to the front of the trailer next time if I was ever towing an empty trailer again.

Turned O/D off initially, but turned it on later for the rest of the trip both to and back. Turned out to be a good choice since the Jeep stayed consistently at 1.7K RPM on level ground at 60MPH using O/D, but went to much higher RPMs with it off. Did not see too much of hunting.

Mileage wasn't as bad as expected. AWD throughout, but got approx 16-17 MPG (speed maintained mostly between 55-65MPH with the occasional 70).

BTW, the tires are Yokohama Geolanders (235/16R17) rated at 2500lbs@50psi, which is better than the rating on the stock Goodyear Wranglers (for the same size - this is the Freedom Edition Liberty hence the 17-inchers). Had to replace the Wranglers at 50K mi due to very uneven wear (my fault - did not rotate often enough).

You must be registered for see images attach

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Reason for it pulling badly was the way it was loaded, way too much weight on the front which will cause the tow vehicle to handle poorly. Trailer should sit level with the vehicle when loaded. I have a 6 X10 that I have pulled fully loaded ( was signed on with North American Van Lines for a few years so know how to pack the right way) anyways have moved realtives from Ohio to Orlando, Boston and back and all over Ohio. Never had a problem and travel at posted speeds on the highway.

Next time pack the trailer with the load either spread out more or full and you will notice a huge difference

sleeve

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Another thing you should have done was flip the ball hitch so that there wasn't such a drop at the trailer tounge. A level trailer is a happy trailer.

I've pulled that same trailer fully loaded with my KJ without problems. But then again it is all in the tounge weight and setup. Driving is the easy part. :)

duckphreak

Reaction score
I'm thinking about getting the same uhaul hitch for my 06 Renny. What is this about a towing package and some kind of cooler I read about it? Do I need it or am I okay with just installing the hitch? I plan on pulling the smallest trailer uhaul has, something like 8'x4'.

sleeve

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The HD cooling AKA trailer package included:

1) Hitch and 7-pin trailer harness factory wired
2) Power Steering Oil Cooler
3) A secondary mechanical cooling fan that works in conjuction with the electric fan

With that all said, the KJ without the extra cooling can safely tow 3500 pounds with the automatic transmission. (I don't know the rating for the manual) The real stickler for the newer KJ's is the way the transmisison cooler is setup. As a stand alone aux cooler the transmission is more prone to heat spikes since the stand alone cooler isn't capable of sheding that heat into the radiator (engine coolant)

If you were planning to tow above the 3500 pound specification, I would really recommend that you wire a pusher fan to the front of the transmission cooler to help force some extra air past the cooler and increase the heat transfer rate of the cooling surface. This doesn't have to be done today, but if you need to tow a lot than plan on this mod to keep the KJ cool.

The 4x8 trailer shouldn't give you too much trouble. Just make sure the trailer wiring is done correctly.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yea, you cant tow a trailer with it sitting like that. The rear axle is hardly on the ground at all.

At a minimum you needed air bags in the Jeep, a weight distributing hitch, or the trailer needs to be loaded correctly. Typically you need 15% of the trailer weight on the hitch. And the ball needs to be flipped.

I towed a trailer a little bigger than that with mine and it felt great at 70mph. She sat perfectly level with 25psi in the bags. :)

Last edited:

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
I tow all the time and no air bags needed, just have to load the trailer the right way

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
I tow all the time and no air bags needed, just have to load the trailer the right way

No airbags here either and no problems. The KJ is actually a pretty good tow vehicle for a SWB Jeep when properly equipped.

Dave

ramkum

Reaction score
tommudd: Next time pack the trailer with the load either spread out more or full and you will notice a huge difference

Yeah, I will need to plan my load better next time. Didn't feel like untying and retying stuff all over again. The trailer actually handled very well with the load, it was just huffing and puffing to maintain speed on slopes. I think it handled especially well given the wind conditions on Easter Sunday when I was towing it. I had poor handling only when I was pulling the empty trailer.

But yeah, perhaps better loading would have helped the Jeep stay sprightly. I still think that the unintentional very-front-heavy loading may have helped keep us stable through all that wind.

sleeve: Another thing you should have done was flip the ball hitch so that there wasn't such a drop at the trailer tounge.

I hadn't thought of that! The trailer was hooked up by the U-haul guy and this was my first time towing. But perhaps flipping the ball hitch would have made it unstable when I was towing it empty from MA to NJ? I'm not sure. Here's how it looked when empty:

duckphreak: I'm thinking about getting the same uhaul hitch for my 06 Renny. What is this about a towing package and some kind of cooler I read about it? Do I need it or am I okay with just installing the hitch? I plan on pulling the smallest trailer uhaul has, something like 8'x4'.

AFAIK, the transmission cooler was standard on the libby starting 2003 (mine has it and I dont have the towing package). I'm not sure about the newer models though. That's about all you need to tow any of the U-haul trailers (other than the hitch and wiring installation, which I got done at U-haul).

I just did an oil change with all-fluid-check/topoff service the day before my towing (though I still had 1000mi to go before my scheduled oil change). They said my trans fluid looked good, but the axle (both) and transfer case oils were looking 'heavy'. So I got those replaced. Total cost incl. oil change$100.

I chose the 6x12 trailer not because I needed all that space, but because it was the only model that came with hydraulic surge brakes. I didn't want to risk warping the brakes on my Jeep - they aren't in top condition as it is, and are due for a change in a couple of thousand miles. Besides, it was just $10 more than the smaller trailers (I took 'in-town' and did the extra trip; saved big $$$ :rolleyes:).

sleeve: If you were planning to tow above the 3500 pound specification, I would really recommend that you wire a pusher fan to the front of the transmission cooler to help force some extra air past the cooler and increase the heat transfer rate of the cooling surface. This doesn't have to be done today, but if you need to tow a lot than plan on this mod to keep the KJ cool.

I believe U-haul installs additional transmission coolers too, if you need them. I've been pleasantly surprised with my experience with them so far. No unreasonable charges yet, and their hitches are priced very competitively (even compared to online!) :)

JeepJeepster: At a minimum you needed air bags in the Jeep, a weight distributing hitch, and the trailer needs to be loaded correctly. Typically you need 15% of the trailer weight on the hitch.

Well, I won't be towing very often and this was just for a move, but I'll keep that in mind if I ever buy a boat:).

How do you determine how much of the trailer weight is on the hitch/tongue? Is there a formula based on the length of the trailer, distance from axle, loading distribution front/rear, etc.? :confused:

Luke

Interloper
Reaction score
Thanks for sharing your experience! I am 15 days away from towing that exact same trailer and your notes will definitely help!

Cheers,

P.S. anybody want to share what kind of receiver they use? how much drop to clear the spare easily?

sleeve

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I made mention of the standard transmission in my post. All I said was that I was unsure what the tow rating is for those left-leggers.

offroadohio

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I tow my fully loaded down 90 xj trailr ig on a trailer behind my 07 liberty all day long running 70mph with no issues. I have a 5000gvwr, and exceed it regularly.

sevenslotgrill

Reaction score
Had great fun pulling this 6x12' twin axle u-haul.I'm guessing the total tow load was 3500-4000lbs over a distance of 600mi (IL to PA) and I also had the Jeep loaded too to minimise sway.The tow/haul mode was ON all through the trip.
A colleague looked at my 08 Sport and said it had the Combo-cooler which is required for over 3500lbs tow-load on all standard 3.7L 4x4.
If not,can easily retro-fit one on your liberty for less than 200 bucks.