2003 KJ + 265/70/R16 + Rough Country 3" Lift

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BeepBeepJeepJeep

Reaction score
How will this go together? I keep reading mixed reviews, some saying I'll need trimming some saying it'll be fine.

Please help clear this up!

Thanks,
Bill

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How will this go together? I keep reading mixed reviews, some saying I'll need trimming some saying it'll be fine.

Please help clear this up!

Thanks,
Bill
Going to use the OEM wheels or aftermarket? If going after market stay with 7" rims with no more than 4.5"-5" BS.You will need to trim with those tires,no getting around it.The pinch weld(bulge sticking out of the rear of the front wheel well) will need to be pounded over(do not cut it off!!!!!!!) and some front bumber trimming will also be needed(and fog lamp door pushed in).The rear will need to have extended bumbstops unless you want your rear flares to be ripped off,I know this,I kept ripping off the rear flares with my 265/75's on 16x7 rims with 4.5" BS(I also have extended bumbstops but not enough I guess).You planning on some harder wheeling? If so you will get rubbing and will have to trim,if not you will still need to trim some but it will be a little less for mall crawling.

BeepBeepJeepJeep

Reaction score
Thanks for your response.. I'm really not interested in trimming anything which brings me to my next question, what's the biggest I can get on there without needing any trimming? My plan was to keep the stock wheels, because it's the Renegade edition and personally I like the wheels..

Also I do not plan on doing any major off-roading...

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for your response.. I'm really not interested in trimming anything which brings me to my next question, what's the biggest I can get on there without needing any trimming? My plan was to keep the stock wheels, because it's the Renegade edition and personally I like the wheels..

Also I do not plan on doing any major off-roading...
with a lift 245/70 or 245/75's will work.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How come rough country says that the recommended tire size is 265/70?

http://www.roughcountry.com/jeep_liberty_3.html
Because they don't think the KJ will ever go offroad,just for looks(mall crawling).In the real world most stick to 245/75's with a lift.I did alot of trimming/modifing to fit 265/75's.All said and done I have about 3.75" of lift and I still rub in the rear wheel wells even with the rear flares off and the wheel wells "rolled" for more clearence.

BeepBeepJeepJeep

Reaction score
Gotcha. I do plan on going on some sand trails and stuff (i dont know of any "real" trails around me, but I do plan on taking this bad boy off road) so I will stick to the 245/70s. Thanks so much.

MoladoGuy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Gotcha. I do plan on going on some sand trails and stuff (i dont know of any "real" trails around me, but I do plan on taking this bad boy off road) so I will stick to the 245/70s. Thanks so much.

245/75/16 is the typical tire everyone is running with a lift. I run 265/70, but I do a lot of mall crawling (lol). I plan to get 245/75/16 once I'm done with these current tires. 245/70 will fit on stock KJ's with no lift. I would suggest going with 245/75/16.

BeepBeepJeepJeep

Reaction score
245/75/16 is the typical tire everyone is running with a lift. I run 265/70, but I do a lot of mall crawling (lol). I plan to get 245/75/16 once I'm done with these current tires. 245/70 will fit on stock KJ's with no lift. I would suggest going with 245/75/16.

Thanks for that. What is the difference between 245/70 and 245/75s?