2003 2.4L Liberty. Lost clutch pedal today. Assume line blew out. How hard is it to replace clutch cylinders?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

psyon

Reaction score
Lost clutch pedal while driving home today. Was able to keep going down the highway. Had a bid of a hiccup when I came to stop signs near home, but was able to nurse by by shutting off the car, shifting into first, and then starting it while in four wheel low to get it through the two intersections I had to stop at. Anyways... given it was just all of a sudden gone, I am assuming I blew out the hydraulic line. The master cylinder is a huge PITA to get to, and one of the slave cylinder nuts is being a pain to get off, so I have to try again tomorrow. But... while I am waiting, are there any other issues that will just make the clutch pedal suddenly go? Also, assuming the cylinder assembly needs to be done, has anyone done one that can give me pointers? Likes like I need to remove a few things to get to the master cylinder area, but are there any gotchas I need to keep in mind?

DadOSix

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’ve never done one on a kj, but my old old saab v4 had a crazy clutch line that leaked for fun.

Biggest tell was the empty master cylinder. Never did find a puddle, as it was such a small amount of fluid.

JRB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The engineer that made it so you can't even get the lid off the master cylinder on these kj's needs a swift kick in the nuts.

I did one for my tj which obviously had loads more room. I was able to buy a unit pre-bled all assembeled, just had to get it all in there and was good to go.

Let us know what ya ended up going with and how the install goes, I know I'll be doing the same at some point, I can feel mine act up every now and then.

sota

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hang on...

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

rattle around uboob and you'll find other videos as well. it's a bit of a chore to do, but it's actually pretty straight forward once you've done it once.

sota

Full Access Member
Reaction score
and when you say "lost clutch pedal", do you mean it's all floppy? if so, it might not be the line, but the bushing, or worse the rod.

psyon

Reaction score
and when you say "lost clutch pedal", do you mean it's all floppy? if so, it might not be the line, but the bushing, or worse the rod

It wasn't supper floppy, still small resistance like i would expect from the tod pushing into the master cylinder.

Either way, I was having trouble getting some of the nuts off, and ran out of time to mess with it, so it had to be taken to a shop.

sota

Full Access Member
Reaction score
good luck.
I had to do the replacement, as my rod broke the eyelet off. Some dipthong in the design department though it would be a GREAT idea to replace the all pot metal rod with a plastic tipped one.

speaking of a tip, here's one for other people in the future:
if you're is plastic and it broke the rod off, get the <04 kit. take a pen for sacrifice, gut it, slit it along its length, wrap it around the shaft, and push it HARD into the master cyilinder. it should release the rod end. then you can just install the metal one, instead of going through the hassle of replacing the entire assembly. I learned this AFTER I'd done the hard. also the 04- and 05+ setups have different mounting flanges for the master, so you'll have to get creative... I did.

Latest posts

Members online