2002 KJ 3.7L - *BRAND* of Gas

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Leeann

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd rather run out of gas than support Citgo. Can't remember the last time I got gas there. :Bye:

I had two different experiences at Citgo - both times, my little '81 Accord backfired. That thing ran on whatever I put in the tank, but not Citgo. So I've never gotten gas there again. That was back in '91, I think.

Sam's Club I've never had a problem with. I prefer Shell, but sometimes Sam's is more convenient. My uncle absolutely swore by Amoco (now BP) Ultimate, but the Jeep doesn't need the octane.

ltd02

Comfortably numb
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think the Citgo's around here are all Crown now. No bad experience with them and usually cheaper. I've always really liked Shell in everything but their 87 in my OHV 98 Ranger knocks and pings like crazy with it. That era Ford OHV has a well known carbon knock issue. Does it with most brands but not at all with Sunoco or Falcon 87.

kage860

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I usually buy gas from one of the cheaper stations and then once in a while I'll add some lucas gas additive to keep the injectors clean.

JeepinJarhead03

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ewing's refinery is in Virginia and only supply about <15% of stations in VA or NC , they primarily do heating oils and low demand deliveries to places like the outerbanks and islands

so, at least for ewing oil, their gas doesn't come from "the same refineries as everyone elses" it's gulf crude refined in richmond va *shrug*

and the only reason i know that is because i actually have been to it to R&R the transmission on the truck they use to deliver fuels to the nc outerbanks, they only deliver fuel to about 140 gas stations , which compared to quality oil/shell (saudi/houston) is squat. they like to say it's huge, big business etc. which, it is, for a private label brand. As far as i know, liberty is the only gasoline that comes out of the richmond va refinery, though it does produce a few different names of heating oils

Last edited:

jeepbeep

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ewing's refinery is in Virginia and only supply about <15% of stations in VA or NC , they primarily do heating oils and low demand deliveries to places like the outerbanks and islands

so, at least for ewing oil, their gas doesn't come from "the same refineries as everyone elses" it's gulf crude refined in richmond va *shrug*

and the only reason i know that is because i actually have been to it to R&R the transmission on the truck they use to deliver fuels to the nc outerbanks, they only deliver fuel to about 140 gas stations , which compared to quality oil/shell (saudi/houston) is squat. they like to say it's huge, big business etc. which, it is, for a private label brand. As far as i know, liberty is the only gasoline that comes out of the richmond va refinery, though it does produce a few different names of heating oils

They don't make invigorate or techron or have anything to do with truck driver error.. I doubt they have some trade-secret in fossil fuel refinery either..

Most problems come from the stations and their up-keep on the tanks. You can safely say it's the same stuff when it's pored in to the tanker truck and you probably have a 82% chance of the additive being applied correctly..

JeepinJarhead03

Full Access Member
Reaction score
god, i hope they dont have any special trade-secrets.. if so they need to keep them to themselves because their gasoline products don't measure up

their gasoline is a byproduct of their main line of products which is heating oils. it meets manufacturing specifications and that's about it

i have the impression (right or wrong) that you felt like i insinuated that ewing/liberty's product was better, it's not, and i was simply pointing out that it doesn't come from the same bulk wholesale distribution filleries that companies like quality oil(shell) and the others use. so the reason behind their poor quality fuel may be simply that it is lower quality fuel that simply meets manufacturing specifications and is simply a byproduct of their production of their actual main line of products which is heating oils. probably cheaper to start selling gasoline when your main product is heating oil, than to refine the heating oils and sell off the partially refined crude to another company at cut prices, which is what Smith Oil used to do. Once they made their product from the crude they sold the byproducts which were further refined elsewhere. Once ewing bought Smith, they started selling gasoline as well.

jeepbeep

Full Access Member
Reaction score
god, i hope they dont have any special trade-secrets.. if so they need to keep them to themselves because their gasoline products don't measure up

their gasoline is a byproduct of their main line of products which is heating oils. it meets manufacturing specifications and that's about it

i have the impression (right or wrong) that you felt like i insinuated that ewing/liberty's product was better, it's not, and i was simply pointing out that it doesn't come from the same bulk wholesale distribution filleries that companies like quality oil(shell) and the others use. so the reason behind their poor quality fuel may be simply that it is lower quality fuel that simply meets manufacturing specifications and is simply a byproduct of their production of their actual main line of products which is heating oils. probably cheaper to start selling gasoline when your main product is heating oil, than to refine the heating oils and sell off the partially refined crude to another company at cut prices, which is what Smith Oil used to do. Once they made their product from the crude they sold the byproducts which were further refined elsewhere. Once ewing bought Smith, they started selling gasoline as well.

I was only pointing out it's all the same stuff and the truck drivers just dump a scoop of detergent in on fill-up based on destination, and they sometimes don't even do it.

Bad gas usually is a result of poor quality tanks at stations.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was only pointing out it's all the same stuff and the truck drivers just dump a scoop of detergent in on fill-up based on destination, and they sometimes don't even do it.

Bad gas usually is a result of poor quality tanks at stations.

The drivers don't mix in anything.It's mixed in the gas as it's pumped into the tanker.That includes ethanol.

jeepbeep

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The drivers don't mix in anything.It's mixed in the gas as it's pumped into the tanker.That includes ethanol.

Many credible people at bobtheoilguy who work in the field said drivers control everything except the gas and ethanol stages and often times don't even do it. I guess there is a silo they drive under, but it's supposedly added after the fill per-gallon.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Many credible people at bobtheoilguy who work in the field said drivers control everything except the gas and ethanol stages and often times don't even do it. I guess there is a silo they drive under, but it's supposedly added after the fill per-gallon.

I personally know drivers,they just pull under and get filled.All the pre-mixing is done while it's being pumped in.

jeepbeep

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I personally know drivers,they just pull under and get filled.All the pre-mixing is done while it's being pumped in.

I don't know first-hand so you may be right.

Here are the only additives I know of:
BP Invigorate
Chevron Techron
Exxon Synergy
Shell Nitrogen(never actually seen it at a station only Vpower)

Latest posts

Members online