200 miles with a no slip locker

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hadtomer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello.

Just wanted to share my thoughts regarding the powertrax no slip locker.

I had it installed in my 2006 liberty V6 2 days ago.

1. got a 2006-2007 liberty? the locker will not fit without a fight and a grinder. as it turns out- it says on the box that the no slip locking diff will fit ANY chrysler 8.25 axle-including any kind of liberty that has a 8.25-but that is not correct. when you open the axle you will find that the C CLIP that holds the driveshaft/cv (sorry, bad english- i dont know if that is the correct term) is too big for the slot in the locker. so i contacted powertrax and only then i was told that ..well..yes- i have to grind the c clip a bit. Seems like something you should not be doing on a part that has so much torque going through it. so i went to a machine shop that fabricated and heat treated me a new c clip that is strong enough and will fit. so far so good.

2. installation is fairly simple. but you do have to mess about quite a lot with adjusting it. otherwise it will clunk and kick. powertrax does not provide the correct shim (is that the word? again...english) for the job and i had to source it myself.

3. on tarmac its not 100% quiet-but its something you can live with (in only talking about lunchbox lockes here!). i had some other offroaders in the past and they all had lockers - and they all work differently. on my sportage i used a TRACKFINDER- a korean self lockind device that was clicking like crazy on bends but it was fairly OK. i also had a zuk with a lockright that drove me crazy because the clicking was very loud. on the NO SLIP -it doesnt click that loud (well-that is what it says on the box) BUT the release is fairly loud and can definately be felt-like someone pounding the rear axle with a small hammer one time every time i go round a bend. yesterday i had to parallel park into a tight spot - lots of manouvers- and it sounded like i ran over a person who was trying to escape- with a hammer- by knocking on my rear axle.

4. i'm not saying its bad (maybe its just me trying to lick my wounds and not wanting to admit that its not the best of lockers)- but its not for everyone. over here an ARb is almost 2800$ with import tax (i shXX you not- the powertrax was cheap cause a friend bought it in the US and brought it with him- so no taxes) )- so i can live with that. and yes- i know that OX and ARB are available- but its much much cheaper. in a few months i will be visiting some friends in LA and i will get an ARB....maybe. i will not let the missus drive my liberty any time soon cause she will get out of the jeep on every bend- to see if the rear axle hit something.

5. other lunchbox lockers that i had in the past worked better. a google search will reveal that its not the most pleasant of lockers to live with on a daily base.

6. oh..and what about offroading? well- this is the part where i have a big old smile on my face. WORTH IT. i mean yeah- my jeep had traction control but its slow and it will probably get you unstuck - but not as well as a locker. i went for a very short trip to see what it can do and its a whole different experience before and after. a locker is a locker - and no electronic traction control can match it. and you get a bonus- traction control still works on the front wheels when you are offroading. i thought i would have problems with the ESP but it all works just fine.

7. But wait- bright future ahead? its supposed to work better as the miles pile up. and maybe i will be using a different grade oil on the rear diff. i will be smarter as the miles pile up.

Last edited: