2.5 CRD Timing Belt

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

juey

Reaction score
Does anyone know of any aftermarket suppliers of Timing Belts and Tensioners for the 2.5 CRD?? Are the parts the same as those used on the 2.8 CRD??
These jeeps are bloody good but parts are priced rediculously. Makes one seriously think about ownership. $2000 is the quoted price, parts and labour for replacement of the belt.

juey

Reaction score
I'm in Australia, they are quoting something like $350 for the belt and $400 odd for a tensioner, the rest is labour. I'd do it myself but like to be able to follow instructions, as yet I am unable to find any workshop manuals relating to the CRD.

Silver Streak

Reaction score
I have the 2005 Liberty factory service manual, and also own a 2.8L CRD. I could send you the info related to replacing the timing belt if you like. Of course the 2.5 could be different. I recall reading it a while back, there is a fixture to lock the camshaft sprockets in place whilst you change the belt so that they do not move any at all. I would guess timing is extremely critical due to very close clearances with the much higher compression ratio of the diesel. If you got one camshaft off even one tooth it would likely damage the engine severely.
Having said that i would change the belt myself, but expect to have to either buy the special tool that holds these cam sprockets or else make something similar that would hold them securely.

Silver Streak `05 CRD

2003KJ

Reaction score
My god!....$1500 USD for a friggin timing belt!?!?

Do they sell Haynes or Chilton's repair manuals down unda?

I know those manuals arent the best, but for somebody who is just getting started they're not bad. And I would imagine they'd have a decent step by step as to how to do the timing belt.

Not sure if the 2.8 CRD manual would work on the 2.5.....I believe the engines are very similar, but I could be wrong.

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
2.8L - bored/stroked or both 2.5L for the most part. I'm sure there are other differences, but the engines are VERY similar.

juey

Reaction score
We can get hold of Liberty (cherokee) manuals down here from Haynes but at present the only models catered for are the petrols.

If the relevant files were made available I would be more than happy to download.

All my reading suggests that the 2.8 and 2.5 are the same except for bored out and then possibly a host of minor differences.

Interesting to read about the locking tool, timing is critical and often catastrophic with anything.

Part prices really have to make you consider the value of a second hand jeep and hence resale of new. Rear brake shoes (drums on mine) were quoted at $440ish. I had mine rebonded and drums machined for $70. Look into clutch and you are talking heaps. Master cylinder or slave failure is something like $900. Just imagine building one of these things from parts.

mkaresh

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A few weeks ago in a blog entry I asked why any engine has a timing belt. Why not use chains in all of them? Sure, belts have some advantages, but they're always expensive to replace, and this could be the worst I've come across yet. And it's not even a V engine.

http://www.truedelta.com/blog/?p=39

kj lad

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I run a 2.5 CRD but I can't help you because my brother did mine (he's a mechanic) but that's way too much money I'm sure.

Ask the dealer if the specs for both timing belts for the 2.5 and 2.8 are the same. I'll look for my receipt for the belt and stuff I bought.........

Ian

juey

Reaction score
Asking the dealer would to me seem the best option, we only have 2 dealers where I am and neither seem to want to provide me with this information, they are very cagey about it. I don't particularly trust the one I purchased from as on 2 occasions they were caught out not replacing said items charged for (7 in total). I have tried emailing interstate companies but had no response. Will need to try some long distance calls to area's with more competition.
I even emailed VM Motori (the engine manufacturers) they did respond, but simply with I would need to contact my local jeep dealer.
If they are the same part number, they would be the same but I cannot even get that out of them, and I am a nice guy.

It's almost like there is some big conspiracy, but lets not get imto that.

juey

Reaction score
I am yet to come to a conlcusion on this Timing Belt thing. I had to argue with one of my 2 local dealers today that the 2.5 CRD had a belt. I spoke to 2 individuals there and both claim it had a chain and didn't need to be replaced. He says the 2.8 has a belt that needs replacing at 120k and that this service inc part is just over.

Sad when your Jeep Service Centres have no idea. VM motori have told me the 2.5 uses the same belt and same tensioners as the 2.8 and that the motors are typically identical and that a 2.8 service manual would more than suffice for the 2.5.

I have also rung my way around Australia for quotes with the same type of answers, has a chain, doesn't need replacement, and others belt and replacement at 100k. My owners manual by the way says nothing under A or B schedule.

I have had quotes Parts inclusive from $800 to $2000. As stated earlier one delaer wants $350 or so for a belt and $400 odd for a tensioner. An interstate dealer will supply for $266 Belt and $244 tensioner + our 10% GST.

I am confused by all of this.

Silver Streak- you stated earlier you may be able to send me the info on the timing belt change for the 2.8. This would be appreciated.

knhjgvv

Reaction score
Liberty 2.8 CRD timing belt kit

FYI I just ordered and received a timing beltr kit and water pump from "poruks" on Ebay. The total price was $317.15 deivered to the US and I am very pleased with the quality. It took 18 days by mail. Check it out. These engines are quite common in Europe and parts and tools are much more affordable.

Indy09

Reaction score
I could use some info from the 2.8crd manual about this timing belt

Billwill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I could use some info from the 2.8crd manual about this timing belt

Here is the link for the KJ Service manuals for the 2003, 2005 and 2006 KJ.

If you have a 2005 or 2006 KJ then the relevant Service Manual covers the belt replacement (about 140 Mb)....if you have an early (2002-2004) Export CRD then you need to download the Service Manual for 2003 KJ and the KJ 2.5_2.8 Export CRD additional info.

Best place for CRD advice is Lostjeeps.com

The Link: Index of /manuals/Jeep/KJ