2.4 L DD from 4.11 to 4.56 good idea?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

m_volyrakis

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My '05 2.4 6 spreed export daily driver came stock with 4.11s.
As you all know 2.4 was not the best option as far as KJ engines are concerned.:disgust:
But this is what I have to work with and changing it is not an option.

I was thinking that maybe changing the rack & pinion to 4,56 would make things better...

I know it's going to be a compromise, power vs top speed and I'm looking for some guidance/feedback.

Is it a good idea to begin with?
Has any one here done that already?

P.S. Posted over @ LOST too

Last edited:

WesChapman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If your KJ is 4x4, you would need a different front axle housing. There are no 4.56 ratios for the Dana 30a. Jeepin By Al offers a modified Dana 30 that you could get 4.56 gears for. It would replace the 30a , but it will be very expensive.

Edit: Just looked at your post count, you probably all ready know that. Sorry

J-Thompson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My '05 2.4 6 spreed export daily driver came stock with 4.11s.
As you all know 2.4 was not the best option as far as KJ engines are concerned.:disgust:
But this is what I have to work with and changing it is not an option.

I was thinking that maybe changing the rack & pinion to 4,56 would make things better...

I know it's going to be a compromise, power vs top speed and I'm looking for some guidance/feedback.

Is it a good idea to begin with?
Has any one here done that already?

P.S. Posted over @ LOST too

as stated if you are 4wd then you are SOL
if you are 2wd then yeah 4.56 would be great
but you are changing the ring and pinion

V-man

Reaction score
I also have a 2.4, but its a 4x4.
So i went a different route for more power.
Chip tuning, its like an extra computer that overides the original computer, and allow for optimal dino-tuning. Its relative cheap, and my kj is much stronger, and less thirsty. I also fitted the replacement airbox filter with the k&n filter. The filter gave me a better throttle response, and a very small feul usage diffenance.

O, i almost forgot. The chip tuning made it possible for me to fit a freeflow exhaust without the cat. The chip bypasses the o2 sensor.

Last edited:

05kj6spd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I also have a 2.4, but its a 4x4.
So i went a different route for more power.
Chip tuning, its like an extra computer that overides the original computer, and allow for optimal dino-tuning. Its relative cheap, and my kj is much stronger, and less thirsty. I also fitted the replacement airbox filter with the k&n filter. The filter gave me a better throttle response, and a very small feul usage diffenance.

O, i almost forgot. The chip tuning made it possible for me to fit a freeflow exhaust without the cat. The chip bypasses the o2 sensor.

I would look into this route. The stock gearing is usually engineered to give you enough power but also keep reasonable MPG. If you go to 4.56 you will gain bottom end, lose top speed, and probably lose MPG since you will be running higher RPM's when on highway where you get the best mileage. A tune for more power should gain you power all around and may even increase MPG since the motor doesn't have to work as hard to move the vehicle.