16x7" on stock suspension

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

yippee

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Let me start by saying - yes, I searched. I read, and read, and read. People tend to have different opinions on it, and I can keep reading til the cows come home. I figured I'd cut straight to the chase, ask my specific question, and hopefully get answers specific to my question. I have a 'soft 8' style wheel on my truck, and kind of thought a set would look good on the Jeep too. Looks like the best I'm going to do is 16x7 with 4" of backspacing, which I know means the wheels will stick out more than stock. Jeep is a 2wd '05 Liberty Limited. It has the 17" wheels from the factory. The suspension is all stock and will remain that way for the time being. I might eventually get around to doing a lift on it, but for the foreseeable future, let's go with the assumption it doesn't have a lift. Tonight I put a ramp under opposing tires (front driver, rear passenger) to see what the clearance looked like. On the rear it tucked pretty close. The front looked like it had some room. Didn't turn the wheels or anything to see what that looked like (I'll probably do that tomorrow). Are the 17" wheels 7 or 7.5" wide? What is the backspacing on them? I've read conflicting info. Worst case I'll yank the spare off and get a measurement on it. Either way, I get a consensus the wheels are 7 or 7.5" wide, and about 5 or 5.5" backspacing. assuming the wheels are 7" wide, and 5" backspace that means that a 7" wheel with 4" backspace would effectively stick out 1" further. From looking at the tuck on the rear wheel, I'm really thinking this setup won't work on a stock suspension? The wheel might BARELY clear, but I definitely didn't think a tire would fit in there, even IF the wheel cleared. Front looked to have more clearance, but again I didn't check lock to lock (that was just with the wheels straight. I guess I'm really just wanting to get confirmation 16x7" w/ 4" backspace is a bad idea at stock height (if it will work, let me know). I might just try to clear 245/70-R16 on stock wheels at this point and maybe get aftermarket wheels if I decide to do a lift. I think I could clear the 245/70 from the room it looked like were left in the fender wells.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Let me start by saying - yes, I searched. I read, and read, and read. People tend to have different opinions on it, and I can keep reading til the cows come home. I figured I'd cut straight to the chase, ask my specific question, and hopefully get answers specific to my question. I have a 'soft 8' style wheel on my truck, and kind of thought a set would look good on the Jeep too. Looks like the best I'm going to do is 16x7 with 4" of backspacing, which I know means the wheels will stick out more than stock. Jeep is a 2wd '05 Liberty Limited. It has the 17" wheels from the factory. The suspension is all stock and will remain that way for the time being. I might eventually get around to doing a lift on it, but for the foreseeable future, let's go with the assumption it doesn't have a lift. Tonight I put a ramp under opposing tires (front driver, rear passenger) to see what the clearance looked like. On the rear it tucked pretty close. The front looked like it had some room. Didn't turn the wheels or anything to see what that looked like (I'll probably do that tomorrow). Are the 17" wheels 7 or 7.5" wide? What is the backspacing on them? I've read conflicting info. Worst case I'll yank the spare off and get a measurement on it. Either way, I get a consensus the wheels are 7 or 7.5" wide, and about 5 or 5.5" backspacing. assuming the wheels are 7" wide, and 5" backspace that means that a 7" wheel with 4" backspace would effectively stick out 1" further. From looking at the tuck on the rear wheel, I'm really thinking this setup won't work on a stock suspension? The wheel might BARELY clear, but I definitely didn't think a tire would fit in there, even IF the wheel cleared. Front looked to have more clearance, but again I didn't check lock to lock (that was just with the wheels straight. I guess I'm really just wanting to get confirmation 16x7" w/ 4" backspace is a bad idea at stock height (if it will work, let me know). I might just try to clear 245/70-R16 on stock wheels at this point and maybe get aftermarket wheels if I decide to do a lift. I think I could clear the 245/70 from the room it looked like were left in the fender wells.

With an unlifted KJ you have to stay with 16 X 7 with 5 inches of backspacing ( same as stock ) 4 inches of backspacing will rub front and back, period
As far as 345-70-16s , really need to measure first as some even hit with 235-70-16s they are sagged so much. No one can say for certain if they will or not.
Middle of the wheel to bottom of the flare in front stock was 19 inches. If you are 19 then 245-70-16s will work with minimal hitting/ rubbing. If below you're going to rub.

JasonJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What Tom said.

Plus, please use paragraphs or break up your sentences. As a giant wall of text it's hard to read in order to give you a reply.

For what it's worth, I have stock 16.7 aluminum wheels with 245-70R16 tires, stock suspension sagged about 1/2", with 3/4" of sag in the front left. The only tire that rubs even just a little bit is that front left.

I get a small amount of rubbing on full lock turns in that one corner; it rubs against the plastic inner fender liner.

yippee

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry, I'll try to do better breaking up the text. I hadn't ever had a problem reading uninterrupted text, so it wasn't even something that had crossed my mind. :sorrysign:

Definitely sounds like the 235/70-16 on stockers is the way to go for now. Eventually, if I decide to lift later, I'll reevaluate larger tires or wheels that stick out a little more. Sounds like the stock wheels wrapped in 235/70's is the better/safer option for sure. That's what I figured, I just wanted some expert opinions.

I did do the opposing side ramp test and seemed to clear the stock 235/65-17 just fine. From my understanding the 235/70-16 is supposed to be just about equal to the 235/65-17. Is this correct information? If so I think the 235/70 should clear no problem. I just like the look of the 16" wheel better (a little less wheel, a little more tire). Call me crazy

Offroad Bob

OffroadBob
Reaction score
I have an 02 Liberty Sport with 2.5” lift on the front with Rocky Upper Control arms and a 2” lift in the rear running Iron Rock upper and lower adjustable control arms, all with the upgraded joints. I am running the stock aluminum 5 spoke wheels with 245/75/16 Goodyear Duratracs. I had clearance probs with plastic on the front of the fender wells 2 sets of tires ago, but it eventually wore the plastic down enough to where I could pull it back some with a couple of zip ties. I can crank the wheels fully either direction now with no rub.

Latest posts

Members online