16 or 18 LBS radiator cap for 2002 3.7L?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

abarkl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Two of my online parts suppliers are listing both a 16 and 18 LBS radiator cap for my 2002 3.7L. I just bought the Liberty last month used and it has a 16 LBS cap. I know it has the heavy duty cooling system, but I'm not sure which cap I should use. Is it a big problem if I install an 18 LBS cap which I already have?

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hmm, the only thing the 18lbs cap could do it blow a line off somewhere if it was not designed for that much pressure. It would also boil at a higher temp if the jeep over heated. If it was me, I wouldnt do it even if i already had the 18lbs cap, its not worth it. How much does one of those cost? $10?

abarkl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. I agree with all the very valid points you've made. I've contacted my supplier of the cap and asked for the 16 LBS cap.

Ashton853540

Reaction score
Two of my online parts suppliers are listing both a 16 and 18 LBS radiator cap for my 2002 3.7L. I just bought the Liberty last month used and it has a 16 LBS cap. I know it has the heavy duty cooling system, but I'm not sure which cap I should use. Is it a big problem if I install an 18 LBS cap which I already have?
Go with whatever is recommended from jeep

Ashton853540

Reaction score
Go with whatever is recommended from jeep
2 pounds probably won't break anything but It could potentially damage something if any of your plastic coolant parts are brittle you'll find out by upping the psi on the cap it's designed to release into the over flow at a certain psi not damaging anything else in the cooling system so I'd go with the recommended cap psi for ur application