15" wheels

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

roost

Reaction score
my girlfriend just got a kj and im curious about the 15 inch wheel issues. where on the brake caliper is the 15" hitting, on the top or the side (facing out)? i have a zr2 s10 and it is a common problem for the brake calipers to rub on the side (facing out) and all i needed to do was grind down the calipers a tiny bit.
i have a set of 5 31's for her but they're for 15s. if all else fails i read that rock crawlers fit, that might be her only option.

kkkustom

Reaction score
I am in your boat too... I saw a pic of a liberty with 15" MT clasicII's...http://www.cardomain.com/ride/595110...

Also I guess my uncle just bought a set of MTclasicII's 15" with 31 10.5 MTR's so I will go and see if they fit. Also I think the 15" RockCrawler wagon wheel looking ones fit too.

I want to get the Super Swamper (interco) Thornbird 31x11.00-15 (Tread Width=8.2 O.D.=30.8). There is a guy at my work that has them on his TJ and they are awsome he said, good on road and sipped for rain and snow, and a really sick looking mud tire.

roost

Reaction score
Sweet let me know if they fit, she loves those wheels!!
I appreciate it!!
Daryl

incommando

Banned
Reaction score
I'd research around and get some more opinions on the Thirnbirds before I invested that kind of money in them. Keep in mind the type of 'wheeling that you intened to do.

4Factor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
roost said:
my girlfriend just got a kj and im curious about the 15 inch wheel issues. where on the brake caliper is the 15" hitting, on the top or the side (facing out)? i have a zr2 s10 and it is a common problem for the brake calipers to rub on the side (facing out) and all i needed to do was grind down the calipers a tiny bit.
i have a set of 5 31's for her but they're for 15s. if all else fails i read that rock crawlers fit, that might be her only option.

I read a thread a while back about someone who took a grinder to the outside edge of the caliper and ground off some to make a set of 15's fit. To get a better idea of what I mean by "outside edge" think of grinding the caliper to make the whole caliper/rotor assembly smaller in diameter.
The comments that went along with the thread weren't too inspiring either. There was a lot of negative critisism about how the individual had made the vehicle dangerous by reducing the safety of his braking system. I understand that there was almost a negligible amount ground off so it probably didn't change the integrity of the caliper too much. What I would be worried about is heat dissipation. With the brakes crammed in a set of 15's I'm thinking there's not enough air circulation to properly cool the brakes. Overheated brakes are definitely not a good thing.

kkkustom

Reaction score
MT classic 2's in 15" rim, measure 14" 1/2 inside... the stock 16" steelies on the liberty are 15" 1/2 inches inside. Now on reguards on how much clearance you need, stock there are about a finger away from the caliper and more importantly only a finger away from the steering ball joint.

now I am sure you could grind down the caliper a bit, but my 05 is somewhat under warranty, so i dont want to do that. not to mention that the ball joint is also an issue.

the stock 15 alloys from the wrangler are 14 1/2" inside dia, and hit the ball joint and the caliper at the same time, so my conclusion is that the liberty needs ATLEAST 15" dia to clear everything... and only have like 1/4" to 3/8" clearance on everything.

I am going to call around and see exactly the the inside dia is on the MT classic 2, to make sure not to get that size, as well as the rockcrawler that the guy on cardomain has on to get close to that size.

i'll let you all know

kkkustom

Reaction score
I got the Rockcrawler 51 series in 15X8, they fit just fine. lots of clearance around the caliper and the ball joint.

I hade the 3.75BS and the 4.5BS shipped to me to test. The 3.75 gave me about 4 inches of clearance on the upper ball joint, and looked nice way out to the edges of the truck... but I bet that the tires would hit tucked up on the edge of the fender flare. the 4.5" bs looks perfect, about 2 1/2 inces on the ball joint, and should tuck ok.

I bet you could run a 11" or 11 1/2" wide tire with the 3.75" BS, but in like a 30in dia and a bump stop or some heating and reforming of the flare. I will see what the 31 10.50 looks on the 4.5, you could always ad a inch spacer to see what it will do i guess.

later

kkkustom

Reaction score
correction... I got the Series 97 not the 51. I spoke to the people whole build the rims, they are the exact same wheel just different shapes punched out of the face.

roost

Reaction score
awesome I was looking at those
Thanks very much! \:D/