07 Liberty tie-rod toe adjustment question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bobkool

Reaction score
So I bought this vehicle used and I went to do a front end toe adjustment. I've done toe adjustments on plenty of vehicles but I've never seen a setup like this. First there appear to be no flat spots on the outer tie rod to grab it to turn once you loosen the jam nut. Second, the outer tie rod goes all the way through the tie rod "knuckle" i guess you call it and comes out the other side, not that that's really relevant. Never seen that before I've always had one so just bury into one end. Anyway, I've looked and looked and I cannot find how I'm supposed to adjust the toe on this. I can't believe you have to take the tie rod end out of the wheel and turn the knuckle, am I supposed to grab the outer tie rod with vise grips or something to turn it? It seems like that's almost going to be impossible given the amount of rust and corrosion on the threads that come out either end. Am I just not seeing the flat spots? (And if you DO have to take the end of the tie rod out of the wheel knuckle does that mean that what I think is a jam nut isn't in is actually attached to the outer tie rod knuckle so you can turn it? Unfortunately I only have an 06 service manual and it doesn't show the setup I have, it shows a tie rod that goes into but doesn't come out the other end of the tie rod knuckle thing.
Any input would be appreciated. Thank you.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Set the toe much like any other vehicle
Many do not have " flat spots " anymore
There are inner and outer tie rod ends
You just loosen jam nut, turn outer tie rod to the desired specs
( of course holding the " inner rod with wrench/ pipe wrench etc )

Bobkool

Reaction score
Any newer car and any replacement stuff I've seen has flat spots it's the older stuff like this OEM that doesn't. anyway, as you can see by the attached photo you can't move the outer tie rod unless you take it out from the wheel. (I labeled them). The only way to spin the outer tie rod is to take it out so I assume you have to spin the inner tie rod (and I was incorrect to my original post when I said there was no flat spots on the outer i meant inner), but yeah, thx, i guess you spin the inner with a pipe wrench or vise grip.

Attachments

• IMG_20220213_124831_20220213130422093.jpg
    IMG_20220213_124831_20220213130422093.jpg
    136.1 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Yes the inner has a sort of swivel built into it , so loosen lock nut on outer and turn the rod
no need to remove the outer
I just replaced a set of inner and outer on a customers 05 KJ and NO flat spots ( MOOG PARTS )
Inners can be a huge pain since they have no flat spots to hold them when trying to R&R

Latest posts

Members online