07 Liberty Sport was broken into - need help with WIN / WCM module

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jeana

Reaction score
Hello folks, nice to meet you all, my name is Jeana, this is my first post!

Anyways, I came here because i figured you folks may have some knowledge about the problem I have been running into here.

About 2 months ago my 2007 liberty was broken into and I ended up forking over 500$ to the insurance company to take care of the problem. The person who broke in busted out the small back passenger window, unlocked the doors, got in then proceeded to bash the whole ignition out with a potato sized rock. Then they got in and tried starting the jeep with a screwdriver (according to the police officer who showed up, he showed me how it was done).

The criminal was unable to make off with the jeep because there is a sensor called a skrim/ skim / wcm / win module that (from what i've read online) cuts off the fuel pump after X amount of seconds in the event someone tries to start the jeep without a key.

Anyways, insurance took care of that for me then.. and just this last Christmas eve, it happened again! Not in the same city, but at my place of employment, during the daytime!

Money has been tight, so my boyfriend (who is somewhat handy) has been trying to figure out how to fix this problem as they didn't cause as much damage, just basically took a flathead screwdriver and damaged the antenna ring that goes around the ignition and helps the control module(?) realize that the correct key is being used.

Long story short, he went and purchased a used one, then pulled the computer chip out of the existing jeep and soldered it into the second hand piece. Hooked it up, and the jeep still will not start.

We have been trying to figure this out. We have called a couple dealers and they say that we have to get a whole new system installed and programmed. We just don't understand why? The original chip that was in the plastic housing should be able to read the key right?

Anyone have any ideas?

renegade 04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The skim module is programmed with your vin number and thus cannot just be swapped from vehicle to vehicle.

GunnerSchenck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's horrible!! Unfortunately as its been said..the dealer was speaking the truth and really no other route..
Needless to say though, very sorry to hear of your bad luck.. I'd start putting a cam somewhere near or in the Jeep in an effort to catch these ignorant sons a guns..