07 AC Compressor

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

port67

Reaction score
I know there are a lot of post regarding this but I have not found the answer I was looking for. My liberty's A/C was working fine blowing cold air and than cut to warm/hot air. Prior to this there was no symptoms of trouble. I had two separate mechanics hook up there gauges and they did not comment on pressure issues. The clutch is not engaging on the compressor. I am able to spin the clutch with no resistance (with engine off and with engine and A/C running), is that normal? There is 13.2+/_ volts going to the clutch so I know it is getting power. The belt does not smell and is running smoothly. I am 80% sure its a bad clutch but never worked on A/C systems so I need feed back.

(banghead)

Last edited:

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
I am no air conditioning expert however, the system will not engage the clutch if low on refrigerant. (means a leak somewhere)
The dealer generally will install a dye as well as replace the refrigerant.
Then if the system stops working again, they have UV light or what ever to locate the leak.
Since you have an 07 do you have any warranty? Have you consulted dealer?
I am about to re charge my 04 that is cool but not cold, and expect they still will use a dye. Cost about $225?
They will be able to advise you as to what is required fairly quickly with an estimate if you are out of warranty.

port67

Reaction score
No I'm out of warranty, so all costs will be on me. I know there is pressure in the lines. The first thing I checked was line pressure. I personally checked with one of the cheep gauges from the auto parts stores and it said the low side was high, 98 degree day and the pressure was 120psi. Being that those gauges are not very accurate I had two other mechanics look over the system and they both hooked low and high side gauges and there was pressure but I didn't think to ask what pressure was at, and they didn't say that it was low/gone. I'm taking it back to a mechanic today for him to spend some more time with it to see if he can track down the problem.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.