06 Window Problems?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

loves_off_roading

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well since I bought my liberty I have heard a lot of complaints on forums about the windows falling on the 06 Liberty.

It's weird I've owned my 06 Liberty without any problems for 6 months.

Mine was made in early 06. My question is was there a certain time in 06 when the problem occurred because my KJ has been fine?

Last edited:

Midgear

Reaction score
I've heard alot of talk about failing regulators and such, but mine has 128k on it and the windows still slide up and down nice and smooth. my rear driver side window is kinda getting a little slow, but it still operates.

who knows..

eyehatetofu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine had 14,000 miles on it when it failed. It was the passenger window on the driver's side. I rarely ever used it (usually always have the A/C on) and it just fell one day.

Consider yourself lucky, my ex-girlfriend has a co-worker that has replaced all four regulators.

RedJolt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I bought my 2006 a year ago as a cirtified pre-owned which is a good thing, because a within the last year all the window regulators were replaced.

sharpy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
had my 06 4 almost ayr now and no probs with windows at all:D

bmrrwolfe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the rear passenger out on my 06 that has been out since i got the KJ in auguse, but it was built March 2nd? 2006 i know it was right before the cut off date, but its just ziptied up for now :D

RenegadeJay

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My pass rear went out on my 06, luckily before I hit the 3/36 deadline. Dealer fixed it under warranty. And I mean RIGHT before the deadline, there was like 1 month left and I was at 34,000 and some change

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
They started using the plastic piece that fails for the late '04+ KJ's.Most get lucky and never have issue,some don't fair so well.
Window regulator failures honestly only largely occur in '06 and '07 models.

My sister's '05 has never had a failure. I've driven several pre '06 KJs at work and haven't ever seen a broken window. However a classmate's '06KJ has had a rear window failure, my driver's side front window failed on my '06, never had it repaired, co-worker's '07 KJ regulator failed, my '04 never had an issue, neither has my friend's or cousin's '02.

Last edited:

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Window regulator failures honestly only largely occur in '06 and '07 models.

My sister's '05 has never had a failure. I've driven several pre '06 KJs at work and haven't ever seen a broken window. However a classmate's '06KJ has had a rear window failure, my driver's side front window failed on my '06, never had it repaired, co-worker's '07 KJ regulator failed, my '04 never had an issue, neither has my friend's or cousin's '02.
Yes the majority are in '06+ but older KJ's can have a failure as well,mostly the cable pulling out of the motor for the older ones.It's getting that time where the older KJ's start having more issues with windows and such due to age.

JeepINgeek

Silver Supporter
Reaction score
Well its my turn!
Drivers side rear, i started driving and heard a loud clunk.. looked back and i saw my window creeping down..

its ziptied for now.. ( maybe forever)

indieaz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Our front two are fine, but both rear regulators have been replaced. First one failed with only ~10,000 miles on the vehicle. And we rarely use the rear windows...we mostly runt he AC since we live in arizona. The regularots don't fail in the same way other vehicles tend to...there is a plastic clip thing that breaks (why oh why is there plastic in that assembly?) and the window just suddenly falls into the door.

Uncle Krusty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
did you get the kit from http://www.steigerperformance.com/ or have th dealer do it?

I bought my '06 in late '06 from an independant used car dealership. The CARFAX on it showed it had been used as a rental prior to that. My firt couple of regulator replacements were handled under the 3Yr/36K factory warranty - for free. Under this warranty I had both rear windows replaced as they failed (within only a couple months of each other).

When the factory warranty was running out, I opted for the extented one offered by the Dealer were I bought it (knowing by then the windows would continue to plauge me). Since then, I've had them all done "under warranty". I did have to cough up the deductable ($100) once as it actually lasted over a year, but since then, the shop has been pretty good about waiving it. (I've had the drivers side rear replaced 6 times total) It may help that not only is this a reputable dealership, but I've purchased sevral cars over several years there.

With the last replacement, I did ask for, and was given, the failed regulator assembly. My plan is to "Stiger-ize" it before it breaks again, or the warranty expires. I can only hope the passengers side (only replaced once) will fail under warranty so that I can get a spare to fix there too...

BTW, I have installed the suctiuon cup style window shades on the rear windows even though they are heavily tinnted. I've found this helps keep the window from sliding down into the door when it breaks. I also carry a roll of clear packing tape in the parts bag in the back for those roadside repiars...