'06 Liberty - A/C just stopped working

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

claggie

Reaction score
I have a "new to me" 2006 Jeep Liberty Sport with only 36k miles. For the month I have owned the car the A/C has blown really cold. Then yesterday, I started it up and the fan blows just fine, but no cold air.

I opened the hood and don't hear anything unusual with the A/C on or off.

Any ideas? I just want to know if there are some simple things I can check before taking in and spending money.

Thanks in advance.

libertybob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
AC

Is the clutch cycling? Does it close at all? If the clutch does not close at all, it could be 1. no refrigerant in system (leaked out all R134) or the clutch itself might be defective. If you unplug the clutch and put 12v on the clutch positive wire and the clutch closes, then you likely have leaked out the refrigerant. Either way, a visit the AC shop is in order.

claggie

Reaction score
Forgive my ignorance, but if I leaked refrigerant, would I know it? I don't know how to check the clutch. I guess I'll take it to the shop and hope for the best.

Any advice to make sure I don't get taken advantage of not knowing anything about how the A/C system works?

dougmac

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Forgive my ignorance, but if I leaked refrigerant, would I know it? I don't know how to check the clutch. I guess I'll take it to the shop and hope for the best.

Any advice to make sure I don't get taken advantage of not knowing anything about how the A/C system works?

In order to figure out whats going on, you will probably need to get a set of gauges on the beast.