06 Liberty 3.7 weird issues, trying to learn/diagnose but having a rough go

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jeepisland

Reaction score
Hello everyone.

I am having some weird issues with my 06 3.7 liberty, it's all boiling down to electrical issues I think.... but I am lost trying to figure it out.

Past week while driving, half of my cluster lights stopped working, O/D works, CEL, ESP light works everything except the backlights for the RPM and Speedometer, about the same time I noticed this, my right rear tail light stopped working along with a weird issue with my radio....it's not a factory radio/stereo, it gets power but for some reason NO buttons will work on the radio anymore.

Also last month I put a new rear tail gate motor/actuator? on the back and I could open the gate when the jeep was on...now I can't open the window or gate anymore, only manually..

Just a bunch of extremely weird issues that I can't really pin point anything too.

When I bought this the previous owner had a SUB/AMP in the back, I thought maybe...it's draining to much from the battery? if that's a thing. I disconnected them and it's of no help, I checked the fuses and they are fine.

Honestly regardless of the fact of these issues I am thoroughly enjoying attempting to fix it myself, learned alot of valuable information and hands on experience since I got this jeep..but electrical, I don't know where to begin.

How would I check for any bad grounds or shorts?

I work at sea month on month off and I am going to be parking it for a month tuesday, so I am posting here in hopes maybe some will see this who've had similar issues and can tell me there experience and what they did, any advice would be amazing.

Thanks

jeepisland

Reaction score
I've read something online "Replaced the relay in the PDC box"

anybody know what relay this would be?

jeepisland

Reaction score
well, I am feeling pretty stunned. the #9 fuse was blown for the rear right light & cluster.. I didn't notice the first time I took it out.

still having issues with my radio and tailgate but, some fixed..

Johnny O

Just hangin' out.
Reaction score
I’d check all the grounds with a meter and visual inspection, next I’d tart looking at wiring. The main loom comes through the firewall under the left side of the steering dash. Pull the small trim panel off by the hood release and check with a flashlight for damage.
Next open the dash panel under the steering wheel and check the hidden relay box to your left. Make sure everyone is seated.
From there I’d discotheque battery completely, then check and clean the driverside fuses and relays. Contact cleaner and a computer keyboard cleaner can!
Do the same to the relay paleo forward of the battery too.
A good cleaning and some dielectric grease will do you wonders.

You mentioned stereo problems, so next I’d pull the dash panel ther and the plates around the shifters. Check the wiring in there isn’t pinched or has bare spots. A few screws and you can pull the center armrest console and check the rest of the wires. They run near the parking brake mechanism.
Last places I’d check for stereo and lighting gremlins is to pull the trim panes at both front doors, make sure nothing is pinched or bare!

As for your rear door mechanism, pull the trim panel and moisture barrier off and check all the connections and grounds. Disconnect the “glass” sensor and see if you killed any gremlins.

Any sign of rodents?